Saturday, January 7, 2023

Saturday Critters #473

 You may have noticed that my favorite spot for enjoying wildlife is 
Lake of the Lilies.
We visited this week and the electronic signs are still in place warning that the waterfowl 
are dying due to avian/bird flu.
Over 30 Swans, 1 Goose and 1 Duck have died due to the flu.

There is one Great Blue Heron that lives at the lake, let's call him Harry.
He use to fly off as soon as he saw me, but lately, he has not been doing that.
I know he sees me, his posture changes, but he does not fly off.


He generally hangs out in this spot, too far out to get a good picture.


The usual suspects were there...


and these Shovelers have shown up for the winter.


There were numerous American Coots and today I saw a huge group of Hooded Mergansers,
in the middle of the lake, way beyond the reach of my lens.
We've had some really warm temperatures, so the lake is no longer frozen.

It was cloudy, foggy and gloomy and my pictures are not my best but I always use current pictures.

- when you are looking for peace, nature is always the answer -

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
for Saturday Critters

9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love that lake too, Debbie. Thank you for taking me with you!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie

The Avian flu is so sad, I do not like to hear so many birds are dying. Your Heron photos are great and I like your up close photos of the ducks. The Northern Shoveler is a favorite too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like the looking for peace quote. It's helped me through this past month. I love getting out in nature. Your birds are beautiful and I know you love being able to visit this special place.

RedPat said...

It is sad to hear of so many birds dying of the flu. Your shots of the Heron are super.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The mallard is my favorite!

Conniecrafter said...

I sure hope the reason he didn't fly away is he is not feeling well, your pictures are great, I wish I could get good ones like that, I need to get a lens with farther reach.

Adam Jones said...

I can see why it's a favourite of yours. The Heron looks very happy there too.

Shiju Sugunan said...

These are wonderful sightings and captures. The herons and the closeup shots are among my favorites. Happy new year!

Lowcarb team member said...

Here in the UK we too have had avian/bird flu ...

Lovely to see the heron :)

All the best Jan