Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Winter Favorites

I have been thinking a lot about the slower pace of winter and staying at home.
I enjoy staying home, I am actually a bit of a homebody.
Then when I think about it, I am actually happy no matter where I am.

During the winter, I knit and color more...bake and cook more, 
I take better care of the house and my plants.
In general, I enjoy "house things" and during the winter, 
I focus on those things a lot more.

Speaking of plants, 
my orchid is in full bloom, and it is looking quite lovely.

Here is my latest coloring postcard.
I thought it would be fun to color a Hummingbird in the middle of winter when we don't see them.
- It was -

My beloved KC Chiefs lost the AFC Championship Game on Sunday, in overtime.
Had they won, they would have been headed to the Super Bowl.
I was quite moved by the American Flag display on the field 
and the singing of the National Anthem before the game.
There was a microphone malfunction and it was quite chilling to hear the crowd singing the 
National Anthem

We have been enjoying a crackling fire on our television.
All I have to do is say "fireplace" into my remote and this pops up, crackling sound included.
 - It is delightful -
We have a gas fireplace but I actually like this one better, no heat!

Prior to our snowstorm,


the back yard was filled with Robin Redbreasts.
At one point I counted 25, all busy digging for worms at a frantic pace,
as if they knew the snow was coming.

- enjoy this opportunity to be at home, assume it is a blessing in disguise -

- discover new passions and do those things you never have the time to do -

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
I do not mind being at home, there is always something to do. I am not into watching any kind of sports. I love trying new recipes and reading. I may drive my eyes crazy reading too much, my eye doctor would give me a scolding. Beautiful captures of the Robins. Your orchid blooms are gorgeous. Take care, enjoy your day!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie,:=) Great captures of the birds. The fire on your TV screen looks so realistic. I have never heard of such a device, but it must give a cosy atmosphere. You probably have C H anyway, and don't need the heat from a fire. Your orchid is beautiful. I also pay more attention to my plants when the weather is too cold to go outside. We don't get snow where I live, but cold winds affect my old bones. I'm easy about staying indoors or out. Never bored, because there is always something to do, and I'm happy doing whatever, so we are a little alike Debbie in just being happy people.

Linda said...

I was sad about the KC Chiefs, too! Love your fireplace screen thing! We plan on keeping a fire burning in the den once the cold weather and icy rain hit this afternoom. I gathered up what wood we have left and i'm sure it will all be burned before the week is over.
I love being home, too.....

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun stuff -- I've learned to enjoy some of the same things even when the weather is nice out. Love your postcards.

Black Knight said...

There is nothing more beautiful than staying home practicing our hobbies when it's cold outside!
Sorry for the KC Chiefs.

Marie Smith said...

I usually enjoy time at home too. I am never bored. I am so thrilled to be reading again.

Kim said...

I am afraid I would need warmth to go with that cosy fire on the TV. =) I am a bit of a homebody, too. Love your post cards. You are a magnet for all the sweet birds. They must feel safe at your place.

Rian said...

Debbie, sitting at home in front of the fireplace with my blanket and a cup of tea... waiting for the Arctic air to descend upon us. They're predicting 3-4 days of below freezing and after the Arctic Freeze last year, people are worried. But it shouldn't last more than a few days, so hopefully we will be fine as long as pipes don't freeze and people stay off the roads. But your robin pics are wonderful and that orchid is beautiful!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I too, have become a homebody. Covid had restricted us so I am entertaining myself at home. Only a few more weeks and I can. begin looking for those first Robins out here.

The Furry Gnome said...

You have Robins already?

Mae Travels said...

I like the app that turns the TV into a fireplace. There is another app that turns it into a tropical aquarium. I'm glad so much of your life is real, though, not virtual.

Robin behavior is fun: they are solitary from early spring through fall, then form flocks like yours. Our flocks go out of town and live in the woods, though every now and then, they come into the urban areas for a few worms and berries. People think they migrate to far-away places like other birds do, but they really don't go very far.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Conniecrafter said...

I really don't mind being home either, if after awhile if I start feeling too cooped up we usually have to run and pick something up from the store so it is good to get out and do that at least, or Greg wants to take some more pics ;)
Wow your flower is gorgeous. I wonder if my tv does the fireplace? yes it is interesting to watch the birds as they get ready for a storm. I haven't seen any of those around here lately.

Lisa said...

Wow your orchid is incredible. I too do more inside stuff in the winter as I just don't like to get out in the snow. That flag on the field is wonderful. I love seeing large flags out on football fields. When I went to one of the indoor marching band competitions a couple of years ago one of the bands brought out a large flag for their show and it was just beautiful.

Lowcarb team member said...

I don't mind being at home either ... although we have been fortunate to enjoy some local walks recently.

All the best Jan

LeAnn said...

I'm rather a homebody too. I love the things you choose to do. They do sound fun. I will be happy when we have a bit more freedom to roam without masks. I was sad about the KC Chiefs too. I love your fireplace; I think I will try it too. Your Orchid is beautiful. I have a new flower that is blooming, but I don't know what it is. I think I might put it on Facebook and see who might know.
Wow, 25 of these beautiful birds are alot. I probably only see three or four when they are around here.
Sending hugs!