Saturday, February 26, 2022

Saturday's Critters #428

 Good morning friends...
A spin or two around Lake of the Lilies always provides some excitement and picture opportunities.
I saw a total of four Killdeer

these two appeared to be a couple.
Always staying close together, I read that they are often monogamous. 
Even though they may not necessarily mate for life, mated pairs form close bonds,
and remain together for the entire year, even when not breeding, or for several years after.


This one appeared to be sitting on a nest or eggs, and that seemed quite early in the season to me.
I read that they breed in spring, and can breed as early as March.
Killdeer don't really build nests, they often just lay their eggs in the middle of a grass field or lawn.
I observed both protecting this area, right behind the branch.



There were two on the other side of the lake, sitting in the overgrown grass, of course!
Neither moved so once again I have twenty two pictures that look just like this.


There was one group of about five or six Northern Shovelers...
none interested in having their picture taken.
This is a male.
This duck really stands out because of it's long, flattened bill.
Sexes are dissimilar, the female looks similar to a female mallard.
In flight the male shows a blue forewing panel and white bordered green speculum.



There is one Great Blue Heron that hangs out around the lake.
Most of the time it hides and on this day it was far off, center of the lake, out of the reach of my lens.
Still, I enjoy seeing it and the challenge of capturing one or two images of it, 
even if they are not very good.


- dear diary, i'll take sitting by a lake over shopping at the mall any day of the week -

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
for Saturday Critters

18 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

All great photographs Debbie. We have the Ringed Plover that looks similar to the Killdeer. Have a lovely weekend.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

It was a beautiful walk around the lake. Wonderful birds are in your great photos.
Have a nice and happy weekend.
Greetings from far away Poland:)

Marie Smith said...

I’m with you, lake over mall any day! Great photos. We’ll see Kildeer in a few months.

Amila said...

All these are beautiful photos of birds. I learnt more about Killdeer through your post.
Have a nice weekend!

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like a great day at the lake that's for sure. I am the same way, I may not get the greatest pic but just excited to get it, seems like a nest on the ground wouldn't be the greatest idea but I guess there is a reason for it. Maybe all the warmer weather has it so confused on when to be mating :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm with you! When we drive past the mall to a trailhead...I actually feel sorry for the people walking in the mall. So much nicer out in the forest and it's close by. Love the Killdeer...we don't see them very often here!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I would take a day at the lake over shopping too. I love the sweet Killdeer, the Shoveler are cute ducks. The Heron must make it's home near the lake. A great outing and beautiful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

Linda said...

We have killdeer here at the ranch! Every spring I find a nest with tiny eggs in it. Alas, they usually lay their eggs in a little nest of pebbles on the road and the horses end up stepping on them. At least the ones I see. I looked at your pictures closely so I could see them clearly. You take the best photos!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Sure looks like spring in your neck of the woods!

Shiju Sugunan said...

The killdeer looks similar to the ringed plover we see here. Beautiful pics and sightings!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful! The Killdeer have a dressed up look, each band so distinctive . Love them.

Bonnie K said...

On the prairie killdeers are everywhere. I love their chicks. Puffballs on toothpicks. Thank you for sharing as it brought up great memories.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

The Kildeer are so striking with their bold stripes! Wonderful photos! x K

Linda said...

I agree. Shopping is work; hanging out at a lake is refreshing.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie, :=) Being outdoors spotting wildlife is such a pleasure, shopping at the mall is boring by comparison. Lovely captures and information about thee Killdeer Debbie. I had no idea they don't build a nest.
All the best.

LeAnn said...

Your bird photos are breathtaking as always. Those Killdeer photos are beautiful. I love when you share information about them. I have learned so much about birds through you. Because of you I did get a birdfeeder last year and really enjoyed the birds that came to it.
The Northern Shovelers, and the Great Blue Heron are interesting birds too.
Blessings and hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs Debbie :)

All the best Jan

Brian King said...

Definitely worth the drive! Beautiful photos!