Monday, August 12, 2024

Surf's Up

A few days ago, I shared this picture of the gigantic sandbar that formed on the 
Point Pleasant Beach side of our inlet. 
This is a massive buildup of sand that poses a real threat to people and boaters.
Our local news station has been reporting updates on this story everyday,
telling people to stay off the sandbar...all boats were banned from going in or out the inlet.
We took a drive down to the inlet on Friday, I wanted to see it and take some pictures.


This is the sandbar, we were on the side of it!



With Debby approaching that Friday, the ocean turned rough and the surfers came out to enjoy the waves.
The inlet seemed to host the biggest waves and since it was closed to all boats, 
the surfers took full advantage.
It was so unusual to see surfers in the inlet instead of boats.









This boy in the blue wetsuit was an outstanding surfer, the best one out there.
We were pretty close to the action, standing on a pier.
One of the surfers came out of the water and over to where we were standing 
and was talking with a friend on the pier.
He said something pretty funny...
"I think I am the only one out there that can legally buy liquor"
I guess it was a very young crowd!

I went back on Sunday and the cleanup of the sand is underway...
people are still standing on the sandbar as the dredging machine is trying to get the job done.
It sounds it's horn and no one moves, I'll show you pictures of that tomorrow.

I am thinking about my son Scott as I wrote this, he loved to surf and we still have his first board!

8 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I bet they were loving that surf! So weird that that sandbar showed up so randomly like that.

Jeanie said...

It would be fun to see the surfers. They're brave folk!

DeniseinVA said...

You took some great action photos Debbie! Interesting about the sandbar. I've not seen anything quite like that.

Marie Smith said...

There is always dredging underway here but I haven’t heard of any issues with beach goers. So dangerous!

eileeninmd said...

Great captures of the surfers Debbie!
The sand bar is in a weird spot.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That surfer in the blue wetsuit was really quite good and what great action shots, Debbie.

Barwitzki said...

Dear Debbie, I really envy you - I would have loved to watch those surfers. I watched the surfing competitions at the Olympics last week. Fascinating. I was thrilled.
Thank you for your great photos and good luck to you.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the work will bring the desired success.
Hug from Viola

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that is amazing how big the waves were for an inlet, bet they were really enjoying that. So weird about the sandbar just appearing like that.