Saturday, August 10, 2024

Saturday Critters #556

 Yesterday, out for a joy ride and preparing for "Debby" 
we decided to check on the Mute Swans that we visited when they were first born.
I have been checking on them frequently and I am saddened to report that there are only 2 left.

When I arrived, they were sleeping and I obviously could not tell if there were 2 or 3 of them sleeping.
Last time I was here there were 3.
I just love how the cuddle up to each other to sleep.


They woke, stretched their wings...


looked over to mom...


and got the ok to go for a swim.



They swam alone and I think soon they will be on their own.


I am sure mom remembers me, as she always allows me to get close to her and the young ones.

Here are a few fun facts about Mute Swans...they mate for life.
Just like elephants, swans never forget you, be kind to them.
Swans are highly intelligent, have sharp vision and impeccable hearing.
Mute Swans are very territorial, especially during mating season.
They live for a long time, some more than 20 years.

This is why I talk to them when I visit and make sure they can see me.
They are never aggressive!

Here is a post I did last year of baby swans on their first day in the water, 
I thought these pictures were amazing!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

11 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's sad to see them go missing...you never really know what happened. Love your photos and your story. You're a swan whisperer!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I wonder what happens to the swans that disappear. Coyotes? It is not good whatever it is. Good to see a couple have made it this far though!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I am delighted with your photos and swans. Please. Look at the third photo. Is the swan's wing not damaged? I look at the magnification and I see a wound there.
Have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday, Debbie:)

Anu said...

Hello. Wonderful serie of photos. Swans are beautiful.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
It is sad another young swan is gone. I do love all your photos. They are beautiful birds. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Marie Smith said...

I am always sad to see how few young ones survive. The circle of life is hard to accept!

Debbie said...

awww, yes lucy, you are correct, i did NOT notice that. the fox and hawks are of great concern when it comes to the smaller waterfowl...i am sure the others were lost in either way!! we have a lot of fox here at the jersey shore!!

Judee said...

I learn so much on your blog! I know nothing about the habits of swans and never certainly heard of "mute" swans. It's so interesting that they remember people. I looked them up and learned a lot more. Thanks. It is sad that some of the babies are gone.

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a beautiful encounter! Those photos are precious.

Breathtaking said...

Like other bloggers have already said it's sad when some baby birds disappear. You always wonder what happened to them. Mute Swans are such graceful creatures. I hope that the two that survived live a long and healthy life..Your photos are as always so lovely

Conniecrafter said...

oh that is so cool, I have never seen them sleeping together, well at least I haven't seen it in person, that is neat if she does remember you :)