Saturday, August 12, 2023

Saturday Critters #504

 These photographs are all from Lake of the Lilies.


This would be the perfect spot to bring binoculars and a camera to sit 
and observe and photograph the birds and other wildlife.


I see a lot of these freshwater turtles this time of year.
They enjoy laying on the rocks soaking up the warmth of the sun.


Mockingbirds are not people/camera shy, in this area, they are very easy to photograph.

I took a lot of pictures of this next "family" of birds, and will require some help in identifying them.
I believe these are Purple Martins, but I have never seen them in this area before.



These look like adult females, above and below, I identified it by its beak and coloring.
The female Purple Martin does not have the dark blue the males have.


This looked like it may be a young Purple Martin.

A fully grown female, this bird was pretty big...

this one was tiny, but did not have the yellow around the beak, I was able to see some blue on its head.
I did not see any males.

If you have any thoughts on these birds, I would love to hear what you think.

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

11 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I think you may be right. We had martins in Wisconsin, have not seen any out this way yet.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh, I would love those two chairs. I am looking for deck furniture at the moment, as we will soon, after living in this house for 30 plus years, be replacing our deck. It looks like a perfect spot to view the wildlife too. Amazing photos of the birds and turtles. Happy weekend Debbie!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I like the scene with the two chairs with a view.
Love the turtles, they have a nice on the rock to sun themselves.
The Purple Martins are sweet birds, we do not see them in my area.
Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Penelope Notes said...

The two blue chairs do look inviting. Although not familiar with this species of bird, your captures of it are wonderfully clear.

RedPat said...

Turtles seem to enjoy the sun so much.
Great shots of the Purple Martins.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a great spot to watch nature and the birds! I think that little one is a purple martin, at least it looks like the ones we have here.
Have a great weekend!

Mae Travels said...

That definitely seems to be a great birding spot.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

magiceye said...

Delightful captures all!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Love your Lake of the Lilies photos! The turtles sunbathing on the rocks are cute.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

A lot of people put up martin homes in Arkansas for these birds. They eat mosquitoes and insects and are good to have around. I've not seen them here. Beautiful photos!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, great images of the purple martins.