Saturday, August 26, 2023

Saturday Critters #506

- Where Have All The Butterflies Gone - 

I planted all the things...
tons of dill, lot's of wildflowers 
and I even planted 2 milkweed plants to attract monarchs this year.
I have not seen any butterflies here in my yard.
The butterflies I have seen were seen in other gardens when we were out and about.
If you follow my blog, you know I raise butterflies,
you also know by this point in summer I have probably captured 50 caterpillars 
and released as many butterflies.
By the end of summer, I have at least 12 that overwinter with me.

This summer I had 2 caterpillars, both turned into butterflies which I successfully released.
I have not seen 1 monarch in my yard.

If you are interested in raising butterflies, you can read about my successes herehere and here.
This site is a wonderful place to read about the joy of raising butterflies indoors.

These pictures are from last year...

One Black Swallowtail Butterfly...

two...

three!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

12 comments:

21 Wits said...

Good morning Debbie, I'm sure they can be found in your lovely yard!

RedPat said...

I have seen very few butterflies this year and only maybe 3 Monarchs so far. Not sure what this all means.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,

Your photos are beautiful, lovely captures of the two and three butterflies together. I was just talking to my hubby saying that I have only seen one Monarch in our yard so far. I do have some of the Swallowtails and the Fritillary butterflies at our buddleia. Maybe they are later this year?
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

BeachGypsy said...

Oh gosh Debbie that is disappointing about your butterflies. Our meadow here is full of butterflies dragonflies and hummingbirds all dashing and flitting about. From a distance it looks like a fairy convention. Bees and big grasshoppers too. Hope your weekend is nice! Has it cooled down there?

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That's weird. Thanks to you, I feel bad whenever I hit a butterfly while driving down the road. AND I am thinking of planting some milkweed. I see some in the road ditches here and there. What is the best way to plant or transplant it?

Marie Smith said...

I grew dill to attract the creatures. Nada! It is a sad reality this year, an anomaly I hope.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope you see some this coming week. We have a lot here in Florida this summer and a nice variety. It's such a challenge to take good photos but you always take the best! Enjoy your Sunday afternoon!

Lowcarb team member said...

Perhaps some will show up a little later - I hope so.
I enjoyed seeing last years photographs.

All the best Jan

GreenComotion said...

Thanks for the tip on how to attract butterflies! Your snaps are brilliant. Well done. Thanks for visiting me. Take care.

Linda said...

I have not seen any monarchs this year, but I have seen plenty of swallowtails.

RedPat said...

Just an update on my comment from Saturday. I went for a long walk around town yesterday and saw a large flock of Monarch Butterflies around some "Blazing Star" (Liatris) in a very small front garden not far from me. The owners were out front working in the garden and told me the flower name and that the butterflies are there all the time. There had to have been 25 or 30 Monarchs all fluttering around their yard and on the plant. I think I will plant some next year.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is crazy, I have had the most hummingbirds this year then I can ever remember, I wonder if they change as the weather changes because I know this summer has not been a normal weather summer for us at all. Hopefully you will see more soon.