Saturday, February 6, 2021

Saturday Critters ~ 373 ~

 In winter and especially when it snows, the birds have trouble finding food.
It is more important than ever to make sure to keep your feeders full,
and be sure they have a source of water.

This is the tree my birds hang out in, while they are waiting for their turn at the feeders.

White Throated Sparrow
Aptly named for it's white bibbed throat, this bird has a sharp song and call...
they only visit during the winter.

Song Sparrow
This birds song comprises three or four whistles followed by a trill of fluty notes.
Their call is a flat cheep.
These birds I see year round.

Male House Finch
Song is a series of rich, chattering phrases, it's call is a shrill whee'er.
He visits me year round.

And my very special visitor...

The Dark Eyed Junco
Aptly named for it's deep dark eyes,
their song is a rapid tu'tu'tu'tu, their call is a tongue-smacking tchht!
I only see the Junco's in the winter if I am lucky.
There were at least 10 here Sunday-Monday, when it snowed

And I can always count on Junior to eat up the seeds I threw out for the birds.
I guess everybody's got to eat!

A gorgeous end to a most beautiful snow day!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters


20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie

Beautiful captures of the Sparrows and Junco. Junior looks happy and well fed. Your sunset is gorgeous, we may have more snow in the new week coming very cold too. I always love your photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Susie said...

Debbie, Beautiful sunset. I love the colors. Those little juncos are so sweet. I saw some out on the snow here, tore some bread up and threw out to watch them eat and the blue jays came and took all the bread away. Big meanies. Stay warm and safe. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Anonymous said...

All so beautiful. And I love Junior.

Marie Smith said...

That last image is spectacular as are the little critters. Nature keeps us sane these days.

Debbie said...

i LOVE him too!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We always called the Junco the snow bird and he showed up during the snowy weather in NC. They are beautiful and you got good photos! Stay warm this weekend...stay inside! heehee! Hugs!

Susan Zarzycki said...

My goodness, what beautiful magazine worthy photos! The last one is a stunner!💖

RedPat said...

Wonderful shots! I love to hear the Song Sparrows. We have a lot of Junkos at this time of year.

Breathtaking said...

Gorgeous captures Debbie, they are all such sharp images of birds I never see in my garden, and the sunset is beautiful.

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos, adorable subjects, so sharp and clear and the lighting is perfect.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful pictures. The sunset is a perfect end to the day, so pretty.

The Furry Gnome said...

Your bird pictures arevalways so good! We often have Juncos all winter long, but not this year.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful photos of all your sweet visitors! Lovely sunset, too! x K

The Padre said...

Everyone One Of These Shots Are Worth A Thousand Words - Something Special About Pine / Ever Green Trees - But That Last Photo, YES

Cheers

Brian King said...

You have lots of customers! Nice to see Junior is still around. Fantastic sunset!

Rain said...

That's a beautiful sky! And I love the squirrel shot. Juncos...I had so many of them when I lived in the Laurentian mountains, haven't seen one in a year! :)

LeAnn said...

I really like that you described what the bird's calls are like. I don't often hear the birds around our feeder but sometimes outside our bedroom window. You have such a variety of birds that come and I love that you can identify some of them.
Of course, I will always love Junior. He is the cutest!
Sending loving thoughts and hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful photographs.
I so enjoyed seeing the birds and Junior looks so sweet.

But oh my!
Your last photograph!
Stunning!

A gorgeous end to a most beautiful snow day ... and post!

All the best Jan

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Cute little squirrel- you got to admire the fella for figuring out how to get a free meal! Beautiful shots of the birds- I love to hear them sing also.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

now look at the sky ...that's a keeper shot. hey, remember ... i think it was you?? didn't u use to take your bloggy photos and make them into a book? wonder if you still do that? ( ;