Friday, February 5, 2021

Girls Rock

 ~ I wish I could write the way a bird sings ~

This Red-Bellied Woodpecker visits every day, she has an unusual sound, 
one that is unique to her.
 I always hear her before I see her.


She shows me the back of her head, so I can be sure she is a girl.
The boys have more red, 
covering the entire top of their heads.

She sees me here and starts to move just a little.
Unsure if she should fly on to the feeder where I am standing, or fly off.
I backed up quietly and let her come comfortably to the suet,
she got a belly full as I watched and then zoomed off.

She will be back, and I will be here waiting for her!

12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They make quite a chatter in the woods and we can usually hear them before we see them. We are seeing SO many birds in the feeders this morning. There was even a Baltimore Oriole! I hope he comes back for picture taking! Stay warm!

Marie Smith said...

Such a special moment in the backyard. She’s a beauty!

Rian said...

I didn't know that about their heads and how to determine their sex. Thanks, Debbie. I learned something new today.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful !

R's Rue said...

������

Susie said...

Love the pictures Debbie. We have those here also. I love seeing any bird in this winter weather. They give me cheer. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Lowcarb team member said...

She is beautiful.
Wonderful series of photographs Debbie.

All the best Jan

BeachGypsy said...

Oh what a pretty little bird! They get so close to you!! I loved seeing the pretty snow pictures too. It SURE LOOKS COLD THO!! I would probably freeze, not being used to that, ha ha LOL! there's some pictures on my new post for you today, ok? Hope your weekend is just great and y'all can get out for an adventure!! Hugs!

Conniecrafter said...

She looks beautiful on that pine tree, so nice of her not to fly away too soon!

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos! The Red-bellies are a favorite here.

LeAnn said...

This is such a beautiful bird and I love how you work with them to get the best photos. These are fantastic shots.
Blessings and hugs!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

u know what is hilarious ...i was going to ask about your wood pecker sightings ...sure enough here is one ... way cool. we have had so many wood peckers lately ...all sorts. i am curious ... have u ever watched the movie "The Big Year" came out in 2011, with Steve Martin and Jack Black ..they are birding ... in search of all sorts of birds. very neat. i wonder if that is really a thing that birders do?? would be fun. ( ;