Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Yarn Along

Last week I said I was going to put aside my 

Outlander Cowl...
But I didn't and I think I have finally "gotten it"!
Can you believe it - after all this time - after all that frogging.
It looks just like the picture on the pattern - well, close enough.

I love this pattern and the color of this yarn, I'm so happy I didn't give up!

This is the lace part and it is lining up perfectly.
What ended up helping me the most, was using stitch markers at the end of each repeat,
which was 10 stitches.
That was it - it helped me to memorize the pattern and not get too far in to a mistake.
But honestly, after placing the markers, I didn't make any more mistakes.
they guided me and gave me the confidence I needed.
I am so proud!!
You may be thinking that the pattern is not that complicated, and it probably isn't.
But I have MS and my brain is compromised, concentrating is difficult for me,
and memorizing even a 10 stitch repeat is as well.

Here's what it will look like when it's done, I am almost half way through the lace.

And if I could look like her while I'm wearing it...
well - that would be really awesome.
* wink *

I am joining Ginny at Small Things for Yarn Along

21 comments:

Prunella Pepperpot said...

It looks a beautiful cowl. I prefer the colour you have chosen to the one in the pattern.
I'm on the last sleeve of an aron jumper. Have done neck and will just need to sew it together, a job I'm not keen on as it seems to take ages!
Have a great Wednesday :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie. Kudos to you for not giving up. It is a beautiful cowl, I can picture you wearing it with your pretty smile too.

Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Kim said...

You have done wonderfully in working it all out. I agree, lovely pattern and gorgeous colour. Oh I don't know, I think you will look lovely wearing your pretty cowl.

Conniecrafter said...

I am so glad you got it, and it looks fantastic!!! I don't have MS and I still have problems remembering repeat patterns, I even have to get out recipes that I make once a week and follow them or I forget something.
You will look terrific in it, you will shine knowing you made it!!

Changes in the wind said...

Yahoo for you. So glad you kept with it and it looks fantastic!

Buttons Thoughts said...

I think you follow a pattern perfectly with a few little glitches to keep it interesting :). Great job I love the colour and you should be so proud of yourself. You have come a long way baby as they say .xo HUGS B

Leanne Coppola said...

If I had known you were trying to do the lace WITHOUT stitch markers at first i would have told you IMMEDIATELY to use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teacher fail!!! I always always always use tons of markers when I knit lace. It's then only way to catch your mistakes and make it easier to keep track of where you are. I'm so happy you're on the right track. It's looks beautiful!

hula-la said...

Oh my, my. This is wonderful! I love to knit, but my knitting is strictly straight scarves...ha, I can knit a scarf a mile long. But the fancy stuff, well, I'll leave that to you. Gorgeous! Aloha!

Cheryl said...

Stitch markers are my saving at the moment. They make so much difference. So pleased to see you are onto the lace part. It is looking fabulous.

Judy said...

Stitch markers. Row counters. Magnetic strips under the pattern row I am working on.
I gotta have them all or I get lost.
The Cowl is lovely.

Latane Barton said...

I love that purple!! You are making such amazing things.

Lowcarb team member said...

I just love the colour of this
Well done you for not giving up

All the best Jan

Karen Lakis said...

Beautiful! I knew you would get it! I only know how to knit very simple things - this doesn't look simple to me. I also love how you photographed it with your new table runner.

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful job! Love the colour too. Well done!

Sue (this n that) said...

I'm totally impressed Debbie! and I can feel your proudness too. It's such a beautiful piece of knitting and I do believe that, because of your previous efforts, once you put the markers there your brain memory took over ... it just needed a tiny bit of a helping hand. Big hugs and cheers to you :D) xx

Unknown said...

I KNEW YOU'D DO IT!!!
Debbie, this is just beautiful.
xo.

Michelle said...

I am impressed! I could never do this! You go girl!

21 Wits said...

You sure do know how to share the creative beauty!

Sally said...

LOVE it. You're doing fantastic work there, Ms Debbie.

xoxo

happyneedles said...

Beautiful!!! Your work is lovely!!!

LeAnn said...

Oh, that cowl is going to be so lovely. I really like the color of course and it is going to look beautiful on you. Remeber you promised to model it when it's completed. You did some great work on this one! Blessings and hugs~