Saturday, February 25, 2023

Saturday Critters #480

We went for a drive around Lake of the Lilies yesterday to see what wildlife I could photograph.
Things were pretty quiet, there were the usual suspects and then these five 
Killdeer
My bird book says they are present here year round, 
but I usually see them in much higher numbers during the summer and rarely during winter.
Killdeer have bold markings, long legs and big mouths...meaning they are quite noisy.
Long wings and a long tail give the standing bird a more elongated appearance. 
Sexes are similar.
Pictures from my "Birds of Eastern North America" book show them to be beautiful in flight.


16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

hello Debbie,

The killdeer are so cute. I love your photos too, they are all adorable.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Debbie!
This beautiful bird posed for your photos. They are perfect.
Hugs and greetings.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome photos of our feathered friends ~ Wow/!


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

RedPat said...

I always love hearing them. Wonderful shots as usual. ;-)

Hena Tayeb said...

Such beautiful rings around his/her neck.

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a lovely bird killdeer is. The bar throat makes it so attractive. Great shots!

Catherine said...

Very nice pictures! I love birds

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I have found Killdeer fancinating from a young age. Love the way they try and lure predators away from their nests.

Rajani Rehana said...

Mind blowing pictures

Latane Barton said...

I just love killdeer! Their coloring, those bright eyes, their noisy nature. I don't see them often so you are lucky.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh I do love the killdeer, not sure what it is about them but I do like them :) and you have great pics of them too!

Angie said...

Terrific photos, Debbie! I always think Killdeer look like they are worried ... something about how the eye slants downward. Have a great week!

Linda said...

Excellent photos!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Another one I like even though I have been told that a lot of birders think they are ordinary. I never tire of them.

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous set of photographs.

All the best Jan

LeAnn said...

I always enjoy it when you share a few thoughts on the bird photos you take. I love the bold markings on the Killdeer. You are a fantastic Critter photographer. I still think you need to make a book.
Blessings and hugs!