Saturday, February 4, 2023

Saturday Critters #477

I see a huge variety of birds at my feeders this time of year.
Some come in close to the window and are easy to photograph, some keep their distance.
No matter, 
I always enjoy seeing them, they are here for the food and I am so happy to provide that.
I usually share close-ups here...two images are from off in the distance.

Male Downy Woodpecker
Males and Females look similar, the defining factor is the red patch on the back of his head.

Male House Finch

Mockingbird
I was surprised to see the Mockingbird at the feeders, I don't ever remember seeing them in winter.
Only one, for two days, and then it was gone.

Female Downy Woodpecker

Male House Finch
off in the distance in a favorite evergreen.

Song Sparrow
Always looking for scraps on the ground, they rarely fly up into the trees.
I like this picture because it shows off the central breast spot, 
a helpful tool in identifying this tiny sparrow.

16 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the little Downy woodpeckers. We have lots of birds in our feeders now too and we love them all. Stay warm this weekend! Hugs!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,

Your photos are beautiful, I love the Downy Woodies. I've been seeing the Mockingbirds grabbing a peanut off my deck. The birds enjoy having the extra food in the winter. Sweet shots of the House Finch and Song Sparrow. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I don't think I've ever seen a mockingbird. Thanks for sharing!

Marie Smith said...

I always see the sparrows singing in the trees. Such beauties. Love the photos, especially the downy!

RedPat said...

Song Sparrows are one of my favourite birds so it was so nice to see your great pic of that one.

Rian said...

We've had a ton of birds coming to the yard to eat the catfood we put out for the ferals during the ice storm. Lots of little Sparrows and some species I didn't recognize. Love your bird pics!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs you've shared Debbie - that Song Sparrow looks so cute :)

All the best Jan

The Furry Gnome said...

We've struck out for birds this year, no birds at all! Very disappointing.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Fantastic shots! They are all very charming birds.

Veronica Lee said...

Your photos are stunning, Debbie.

That Song Sparrow is so cute!

Hugs and blessings!

Breathtaking said...

First rate captures of all the birds. Some have the sweetest expressions on their faces.
I really enjoyed seeing your garden visitors.

Anni said...

Absolutely beautiful!! That first image of the woodpecker is truly frame worthy!!

And, thanks for joining us this weekend at IRBB.

Linda said...

Ive been seeing their cousins!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Such lovely birds and excellent photography.

Conniecrafter said...

Fantastic pictures, I was just telling Greg that we have had a mockingbird at our suet for the past couple of days, so nice to see something other than those starlings at the suet :)

LeAnn said...

This is a stunning photo of the Sparrow. You take the best bird photos ever. I still think you should do a book. Loved this one!
Blessings!!