Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Come See The Babies

Do you remember this nest on Silver Lake in Belmar?
This picture was taken on April 8th as the mother Mute Swan sat with patience and pride,
knowing she would soon be a mother.
This nest is not the one I shared on Sunday...but the one I wrote about here on April 15th.

I visited on Saturday and did not see a swan on the nest, both were off in the distance, in the water.
They were right up on the shoreline, among the reeds...I knew the babies had hatched.
They were keeping them out of sight and protected...
I learned from another onlooker it was their first day in the water.

There were a total of 8, 7 tan and one was grey...

they were so adorable.

They stayed close to mom and dad,
the Canadian Geese approached them many times and always met with the same fate.
A stern and vigorous chase!

When I first arrived, I could not get any pictures, but patience paid off,
they swam a little further down stream to an opening in the reeds...

and just like that, I was able to get some pictures in clear view.




Could they be any cuter?



Gray baby...





They knew just what to do...
I spoke to them, made sure they knew I was there and that they recognized me.

I wrote this in my last post...

These Mute Swans use the same nest every year, sprucing it up each year. 
The Mrs. lays her eggs and both take turns keeping them safe and warm.
A few fun facts...
Mute Swans mate for life.
Just like elephants, swans never forget you, be kind to them.
Swans are highly intelligent, have sharp vision and impeccable hearing.
Mute Swans are very territorial, especially during mating season.
They live for a very long time.

This is why I talk to them and make sure they can see me.
They were not aggressive...what a thrill!

16 comments:

Rian said...

Wow! Great shots Debbie! So adorable. I think 'talking' to them (or any critter) helps them to know you mean them no harm.

Pam said...

Little babies, and so fuzzy and adorable. Great shots.

Marie Smith said...

What a thrill! Thank you for sharing them, Debbie! Great shots!

Susie said...

Debbie, Not one ugly duckling in the crowd. So fun to see. Glad you got the great pictures. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

TexWisGirl said...

Lovely little fluffs! Good luck little ones!

BeachGypsy said...

One of my favorite posts ever! Those tiny Lil babies--so soft a n d fluffy-- they are just precious! Love the close-ups.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Already? That seemed quick. How adorable!

Sally said...

So precious! Mother Nature is a beautiful thing!

xoxo

Changes in the wind said...

How special to see and photograph them.

Lowcarb team member said...

So adorable Debbie, your photographs are lovely.
I've scrolled up and down a few times oohing and aahing :)

All the best Jan

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those babies are about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, how adorable! Fantastic photos of these wee babes Debbie!

Breathtaking said...

Wonderful captures Debbie.:=) The cygnets are the personification of cuteness.

So sorry I haven't had much time to visit,but I always appreciate your posts when I do.

All the best.

Brian King said...

Awesome! Such fuzzy little things! I'm glad you were able to get these great photos!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Such cute little fluff-balls. So special. I love that you talk to them. Thank you so much for sharing, Debbie! Made my day.

-Soma

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow how exciting, and so great that they came out and let you get some wonderful shots of them!!! They are so adorable and funny they are different colors, I like how fuzzy they are. Glad you had such good timing to see them!