Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Who Needs A Tomato

When it comes to tomatoes, there are a lot of options at the farmers markets right now...


but home grown is always best. 

Finding tomato recipes for these babies, means spending a lot of time on Pinterest and Google.
I could make sauce, my friend Liz suggested that, but we do not eat a lot of red sauce,
and I do not know how to can.
We have eaten a lot of BLT Sandwiches, Cucumber and Tomato Salads,
Tomato Sandwiches and Tomato Slices with salt.
They are so good this year, I have never grown better tasting tomatoes before now.

I found this recipe on Pinterest...


Using a tomato and basil from my garden, 
the ingredients are simple, 
the recipe calls for pepperoni, I omitted that.

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.

After cutting the puff pastry into 9 squares,
place them on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
On each square, arrange a tomato slice, basil, salt, pepper
 
and parmesan cheese.


Fold to opposite corners to form little boats.

Mix egg yolk with water, and brush onto pastry.
Refrigerate for 15 minutes before baking in 360 degree oven
for 15 - 20 minutes,
until cheese is melted and pastry is puffed and golden.

Here are mine, they took 17 minutes and tasted delicious!!

Cooking with love provides food for the soul!

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It sure does. These looks delicious, Debbie. We are having a get-together soon. These will make the menu! Thank you for sharing.

Gretchen Weaver said...

These puffs look delicious, my mouth is watering now!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie
The tomato puffs look yummy, you found a great recipe. Have a happy day and week ahead.

betty said...

Oh wow, those puffs look very delicious! It would be hard to stop at one, two or three if I made them!! Saving recipe for when we use the oven again in November :)

betty

Changes in the wind said...

Oh my those puffs are a winner for sure.....

Conniecrafter said...

We have the roma style tomatoes this year, and we are getting a lot of them too, I need to sit down and figure out what to do with them :) Your dish looks like it turned out great!

BeachGypsy said...

Debbie those puffs look amazing!!---great job! I love love love BLTs!! Have you tried a tomato pie recipe yet?

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those little treats look so good. Make my mouth water.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my word, so many homegrown tomatoes and I love tomatoes. Maybe you could give us a tutorial :) I am going to make this wonderful looking recipe. Thanks Debbie!

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks good! We're headed for a Mennonite market tomorrow and things like salsa, relish, pickled beets and more are all in the cards.

Rian said...

Great recipe! I might add a little mozzarella cheese to the mix... love the combination of tomato, basil, and mozzarella!

Karen said...

Ooh, that looks pretty yummy! I make my own tomato sauce and pasta. I wish I could can sauce during the summer when the fruit is fresh, but I don't know what the pH is. We use tomatoes in marinara, pizza sauce, chili, meat loaf. If I had a bumper crop, I might have to look into just canning the tomatoes, but they are so delicious fresh!

Linda said...

I love that recipe! Thank you! Your tomatoes look beautiful! They showed off since they knew you would make them famous with your photography skills!

Veronica Lee said...

I love homegrown tomatoes and these look so fresh and juicy!

Those little treats are making me drool!

Black Knight said...

Those tomatoes look delicious.
I usually eat green tomatoes. In summer they are my favorite dish.

Brian King said...

Your garden is doing quite well! I'm a big fan of tomatoes. Sometimes I just slice one up and add a bit of salt and pepper.

Lowcarb team member said...

Home grown tomatoes are so good!
I do like the look of those Pepperoni Basil Tomato Puffs.

All the best Jan