Thursday, February 15, 2024

Why I Knit...

WoW...the answer to this could be a small novel, there are so many reasons why I knit.
The best I can remember, my first knitting lesson was awesome.
Sitting outside, on a farm with a great group of girls who were all learning the craft.
My teacher Leanne was amazing, 
it wasn't just the knitting, she lives on a farm and was a "natural" gem of a person.
A cool farm girl who did everything and was so kind...I loved everything about her and this experience.
I remember, I could not wait for lesson number 2.

Learning to knit...

Here I am at my first lesson, at the head of the table...
May 8, 2014

2nd lesson...look at that smile!

Leanne gave all of us these green folders, I still have mine.
The knitted beige piece on the right was my first practice piece...
the dark brown piece the second.

The folders have this knitting poem inside.

I still have the dark brown piece, it's much longer now.
The hubs uses it whenever he takes a "day time sleep" to cover his eyes.

I still have my folder...its filled with patterns from the items I have knit.

Getting back to why I love to knit...
it is not just about creating something that I love and then sharing it with others.
It's about the rhythm of the sticks, 
the yarn sliding through my fingers and the calm that that creates inside me.
I knit because I love colors and I can create art with those colors.
I like to keep my hands busy, and I really enjoy this busy, it calms my thoughts and brings me joy.
It is also about the girls I knit with, and the community of knitters.

It is also a tribute to my Aunt Dot, she loved to knit!

6 comments:

Alicia said...

What a cool post! I too would have loved to learn to knit outdoors on a farm like that with other women. Anytime you can get together with a group of like-minded women is going to be fun. How sweet that you kept the folder and your first piece! I'll have to remember what my first crochet piece is and do a post. I would love to learn to knit, maybe when I retire. Have a great day1

Leanne Coppola said...

Knitting brought us together and I'm so thankful for that!!! And I LOVE that you love to knit. It's the best hobby in the world!

BeachGypsy said...

And now look at all the beautiful things you make!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your description of knitting is beautiful.
Lovely people there, knitting and being friends.

Conniecrafter said...

Neat to see the first pictures of you just learning, and yes that smile says it all, complete joy of Knitting. It is wonderful to have that thing that can calm us bring us joy and that we can share with others!

Anonymous said...

My dear mum was a great knitter, but it's something I've never taken too ...
So pleased you love it, great photographs here, what a wonderful smile.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

PS Still commenting as anonymous but it seems to be working.