Saturday, April 15, 2023

Saturday Critters #487

Welcome to Silver Lake...
the hubs and I do not visit here too often as it is a little further from home.
But we do visit regularly in the spring when 2 swans return and make a home on the small island here.
They spruce up last years nest, 
the Mrs. lays her eggs and both take turns keeping them safe and warm.
A few fun facts...
Mute Swans mate for life.
Just like elephants, swans never forget you, be kind to them.
Swans are highly intelligent, have sharp vision and impeccable hearing.
Mute Swans are very territorial, especially during mating season.
They live for a very long time.

One, either are always on the nest...

the other circles around in the water keeping watch on the nest and an eye out for predators.





I love this picture of the Red-Winged Blackbird amongst the reeds.

This is an American Coot
How sad to see the trash in the picture but I captured another Red-Winged Blackbird in the background.
They have returned in staggering numbers, I did a post just about them here.
I did not see any females.

Sharing today's images with
For Saturday Critters
 

12 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Interesting information about the swams, thanks for sharing.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Mute Swan is such a regal bird. This is one we don't see here.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never seen coots myself but you took a great photo. Love the swans. I never see any here. Thank you for sharing.

RedPat said...

Such great shots of the swans. I always look forward to the return of the Red-Winged Blackbirds. Ive heard a couple here but haven't seen them yet.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
The swans are beautiful, thanks for sharing the facts. I like the Red-winged Blackbirds. I have been seeing lots of them around. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Villrose said...

Beautiful swan photos.

Mae Travels said...

Red-Winged Blackbirds are a wonderful sign of spring in our area. I love to hear their songs.
Nice photos!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie :=)
Lovely captures of the elegant swans, and thank you for the swan facts. Our blackbirds are all black, not as beautiful as your Red-winged Blackbirds.I also hate seeing trash were it shouldn't be!
All the best.

Conniecrafter said...

They are certainly beautiful and will be exciting to see the babies :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs of the swans.

All the best Jan

Shiju Sugunan said...

The swans are beautiful. I particularly like the Red-winged Blackbirds.

Catherine said...

Beautiful swans photos. I love swans we have some here on the river