Sunday, August 19, 2018

Raising Swallowtails - 2nd Update

I have been taking pictures of the caterpillars almost every day,
but I have not shared an update since August 9th.

We found them on August 4th, I wrote about it and shared pictures here.

They were just tiny black specks with a white stripe through the center.
8 of the 9 are pictured here.

By August 9th, 5 days later, all but 2 were this size, 
I shared an update on that day that you can read here.

Here is a picture I took on Sunday August 12th.

On Monday the 13th they looked like this...
you can see 1 of the smaller ones climbing the back wall.

We picked and preserved a lot of dill, 
and decided to take them with us to Connecticut.
We are home now and that went very well.

On Thursday the 16th, 
they had stopped eating and were starting to pick spots for chrysalis. 
These 2 choose an awesome spot..."not"
they are are "almost" right on the zipper.

By yesterday, 

all but 2 had gone into chrysalis.
The entire process, in home, took a total of 13 - 15 days.

Good news, good news...
I went outside yesterday to get dill for the two caterpillars that have yet to chrysalis,


and I found 6 more babies and 1 tween.

I said, "plant some dill, perhaps you will get a caterpillar or 2"!
Mother Nature said, "nice effort, we will give you all of them"!
- hehehehehe -

round 2 begins!!

and a big p.s....I went out for dill this morning and found...

7 more, help, I need a bigger home!!

17 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Such fun to see your caterpillar posts! This is a great nature study lesson. Thanks Debbie :)

Debbie said...

i'm glad you enjoyed these denise, it went so fast!!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

May you have an excellent round 2

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You really have created an excellent swallowtail nursery.

Brian King said...

That's really neat! Nice update!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh wow!!!!! That will be exciting to watch.Keep on posting those updates, that is if you can pull yourself away from the 'nursery'. So fun!

The Furry Gnome said...

I saw one of these here a week ago - on some dill. Striking pattern!

Karen Lakis said...

Thank you for the update! I remembered that they were going to Connecticut with you and happy to see that all is well!

Michelle said...

This is wonderful! Bravo!

Jean said...

Can't wait to see all the emerging butterflies! Really enjoying reading these posts.

Louca por porcelana said...

So neat!Hugs!

Carole said...

We have monarch butterflies - their caterpillars look almost identical to yours but only eat swan plants. And after looking it up I see that monarchs are quite different to look at once they become butterflies. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Farm Girl said...

That is so cool Debbie!!! I am so glad you have this little project going. Its a good thing you have so much dill.
What lovely pictures.
I hope you have a lovely Week next week.

Marie Smith said...

🙂 you bring a smile to my face Debbie. I can’t wait to see the results.

LeAnn said...

Oh my friend, I am so happy for you. I can tell how much you enjoy doing this project. It is amazing how fast they grow. I love the story of the caterpillar and how they become the beautiful butterfly. The life cycle of a butterfly can be an analogy for our own human experience.
Yes, I think you do need a bigger house if you keep raising more. I still smile at the thought that you traveled with them.
I am really enjoying following your adventure in raising caterpillars to become butterflies. Fantastic photos, as always.
Loving thoughts and hugs for your mothering heart in caring for these little caterpillars.

Jill said...

Ohhhhh...this is so exciting! You are the caterpillar whisperer!

Lowcarb team member said...

Amazing …

All the best Jan