Friday, November 17, 2023

The Reservoir

 Yesterday, the hubs and I went for a walk around the Brick/Wall Reservoir.
At 62 degrees the hubs wore a tee shirt, I wore a light jacket.
It was such a beautiful autumn day, although it was warmer than it usually is in November.
Today, it is going to be close to 70 degrees.
I should have taken more pictures, the walking path around the reservoir is 1.7 miles.
The path is maintained by both towns, there is never one piece of trash anywhere,
and there are cameras on every other light pole.




I saw my first Bufflehead, actually I saw two.
They really stand out in the water and are with us for the winter.


The Bufflehead is a small, distinctive diving duck.
With a lot of white feathers, a large rounded head and a dainty bill they are easy to recognize.
In good light you can see an iridescent purple and green sheen to the black elements.

We saw this pretty tree in the parking lot, it was full of leaves and magnificent color.


The water was still and I loved the pretty reflections.
The Bufflehead duck is only in this area during the winter.


The hubs found this as we walked,
I left it so someone else could find it!

- may your heart be like a lake with a calm, still surface & great depts of kindness -

11 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Buffleheads are one of my favorites! Or butterballs as we call them, don't ask me why. You every try to shoot one of them flying? (of course I know the answer to that). They are nearly impossible to hit!

Marie Smith said...

The buffleheads are a great find. Love those duckies!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

I didn't know of Bufflehead until now, so pretty and demure. Love the photos you took of them. The painted rock is sweet, I am sure it will make someone else smile too. Thanks so much for sharing.

-Soma

Linda said...

Your photos are stunning! Love the reflections! And I love your closing quote - so very true!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

A beautiful place to take a walk! I've never seen a Bufflehead - they are so cute - like ducky panda bears! Lol! Love the painted rock and sweet quote. xx

Kay said...

Your photos are amazing, Debbie. And that tree is gorgeous and so HUGE!

eileeninmd said...

The weather was perfect for a walk. Beautiful photos of the Buffleheads and the reservoir. The tree is beautiful. The painted rock is cute, well done. Take care, have a great weekend.

acorn hollow said...

What a beautiful walk you had.
Cathy

Conniecrafter said...

We had that same beautiful weather, it is now starting to cool off and next week will be even cooler. That duck is so pretty, great markings, it is nice with the reflection for sure!
So nice to have parks that they really care about maintaining :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful photographs you've shared, and that painted rock made me smile :)

All the best Jan

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a nice place for a walk! I don't think I have ever heard of this bird, but you took some great photos of it. Love the rock!