Saturday, February 29, 2020

Saturday Critters ~ 324 ~

More fun from Sunday - we visited 
Lake of the Lilies 
and saw a few more interesting ducks, Mr. Wood Duck was not there...


Gadwall
Male on the left - Female on the right.
Present here only in winter, my book says the Gadwall is a familiar duck,
but I rarely see them.


Male Hooded Merganser
Swimming way out, the Merganser is a small, oddly shaped diving duck,
with a large head and a slender bill.
The male has a large crest that can be flattened or fanned, it is flattened in this image.



The Female Lesser Scaup was swimming close to the shoreline,
I was able to capture some better images of her.



Another diving duck seen in this area only in winter.





The Male Greater Scaups were closer in today too!


Seen here only in winter,
the Greater Scaup is a bulky, robust diving duck.

Sharing today's pictures with Eileen at Viewing Nature With Eileen

13 comments:

Ella said...

Good morning, Debbie!
I love the duck's 🦆
I also have all types and mats in my area!
Enjoy your weekend!

Brian King said...

Those are beauties! Love the Scaups! I've never seen one in the wild. Great muted colors.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This post didn't come up in critters this morning but I'm glad I found it! Love this duck with that neat looking bill! I would love to try to sketch it! Enjoy your day!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie, you did great taking the ducks photos. I love the Hooded Merganser, they are one of my favorites. The Scaups are pretty ducks. I have to get out somewhere to see the ducks before they leave. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Debbie said...

hi diane...i went back and checked. i am #24, you are #25, perhaps we were joining at the same time!! i hope you do a sketch!!

italiafinlandia said...

They are all cute! :)

Bonnie K said...

I love the hooded merganser. They are one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful pictures .

Conniecrafter said...

How nice that some of them where a little more accommodating and coming in a little closer for you to get a good picture. It looks like the water was a little choppy there too.

Marie Smith said...

I saw gadwalls last week. The other I only see in summer. Great photos.

Louca por porcelana said...

Great pictures!Hugs!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The Scaup has the neatest pattern of its feathers! I’ve never seen those!

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful ducks :)

All the best Jan