Friday, February 21, 2020

Home Chef vs Home Cooking

I have been dying for Short Ribs.
I use to make them all the time but I am still receiving Home Chef  Meals
 and they have not offered them.

I have received some negative comments about the cost of the Home Chef meals,
so I thought I would do another comparison post.


$ 10.38  Short Ribs
$  3.99   Potatoes
$  3.00   Carrots and Celery
$    .50   Sweet Onion
$  1.00   Red Wine
$  1.00   Rachael Ray Beef Stock

The total is $ 19.87, that does not account for the honey, herbs, bay leaf, flour, gravy master or the fact that I had to shop for all of the items. The cost with Home Chef is $ 20.00 per night, $ 10.00 each. Everything is pre-measured...and even though I do a bit of the prep work, I enjoy the amount of work I put in to the meals. All of the ingredients are fresh and delivered right to my door.

If you are interested in this recipe, you can find it here. I made mine in my cast iron, dutch oven on top of the stove, but I have also made them in the slow cooker and they are just as good.

Did I take pictures you ask - well of course I did...




Browning the meat first, very important they say!



After this step, I was getting a tad excited and forgot about taking more pictures.

- ta-da -
This was so amazing!!
I only ate the meat and mashed potatoes, I was not wasting any of my stomach space on carrots.
The hubs ate those!

and as a side/footnote I have been making my mashed potatoes with a ricer.
I bought one right before Christmas 
and used it for the first time on my Christmas Dinner mashed potatoes.
It all started with a Martha Stewart video.
Now I steam my potatoes.
Yukon gold potatoes, through the ricer, heavy cream and butter.
They are the best I have ever eaten.
If you don't use one - get one, it is the best thing I ever did.

oooooh and make these Short Ribs, your welcome!

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Your meal looks delicious. Usually when I cook, we have leftover for another night. My hubby loves mashed potatoes, he even is the one that makes them. I do the rest. I have never heard of a ricer? Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend!

Ella said...

Yummy for my tummy! 😋
Thank you for recipe!

Brian King said...

That looks amazing and I'm sure it tasted that way! Anyone complaining about the cost of home delivered meals hasn't been to a fast food drive-thru lately. It's nothing to spend $20 and change on mediocre fast food for two people.

Buttons alias Grace said...

Well now this makes me so hungry. I think if you can order for close to the same price it makes sense to order it. Fresh is always good and convenience is something that many of us need in this crazy world of rush rush rush. We do not have this option out here in the country but I think I would use the service if I could when I am busy.Oh boy I am so hungry now. Hugs B

Dicky Bird said...

ooohh looks so good!

Changes in the wind said...

Tasty!!!!

Marie Smith said...

Looks delicious! Yummy!

Lowcarb team member said...

It looks good …
Enjoy the up-coming weekend.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Yum. We bought an Instant Pot last year and I bet short ribs would work well in it. Must confess Bill is the one who cooks with it ... I’m not very good at appliances with lots of parts to put together. (I can manage the toaster and the coffee pot. And maybe the blender on a good day ))).)

Conniecrafter said...

I've never seen them done like that, looks like they are very tender. I am not a fan of cooked carrots, I like mine raw. I have never heard of doing the potatoes in a ricer, you learn something new every day. We only do potatoes like this on Holiday's to make it more special but I cook them in Chicken broth and then drain most of it after they are done cooking, add butter and sour cream and mash them up, Oh my goodness are they good! I think if you save time with not having to shop for the supplies and everything is in the box, no hunting the kitchen for them, even if it is a little more that would make it worth it

BeachGypsy said...

Gosh Debbie this LOOKS SO DELICIOUS!! Dang I could eat TWO PLATES of this!! Happy weekend my friend!!