Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Duck Out Of Water

I photographed these Mallard Ducks back on January 23rd at
Lake of the Lilies
They are beautiful familiar ducks...they are very easy to photograph.
I see these ducks year round in almost every small body of water in this area!
The male whistles - the female utters a familiar, aggressive quacking.
They look distinctively different, 
the boys have the pretty green heads, the girls are brown all over.
Their feather pattern is very detailed.


Male Mallard

I was surprised to see this one banded.


Female Mallard

Male - depending on the light, their heads can look this florescent green.

I have not been out much and the bird population at my bird feeders is down.
Perhaps there is a hawk in the area!

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie! beautiful captures of the Mallards. I really love the shot with the two together. A happy couple!
Wishing you a great day!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

but were they in a row?

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful captures, Debbie.

21 Wits said...

Just fabulous shots, and you are the go to person for all ducks, in such a lovely area. Thanks.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I marvel at those beautiful colors, every time I see one of these birds.

Kim Sharman said...

I always smile at the mating antics of the animal kingdom. The glorious colour of the male Mallard Duck is always a delight to see.

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos! It's great when the light shines off their green head feathers!

Debbie said...

hi kim, many thanks for the comment. i often overlook the mallards because they are so common. i am trying not to do that anymore. welcome to my purple place!!!

Debbie said...

hehehehe, always with the wise cracks!! i am so very happy to see you today, i have honestly missed all of your wise cracks!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely ducks, I especially like the one with the two of them in …

All the best Jan

LeAnn said...

You take the best duck photos ever. I love the information on them. I marvel how the male duck has the beautiful colors and the female not. Do they stay together as mates?
Sending loving thoughts and hugs!