Monday, January 13, 2020

Winter Lantern Festival

Over 1,000 colorful lanterns on display, 
sculpted into magnificent figures of luminescent art.

Are you ready to step into a world of color and light...
a whimsical world of creativity and lanterns...

The display gets my 2 favorite "a" words, amazing and awesome,
let me show you through pictures!




















Fun Fact About the Panda
A panda spends 14 - 16 hours a day eating bamboo. 
Much of the food that a giant panda eats is not digested.
In the spring, an adult giant panda can produce about 62 pounds of droppings in 24 hours.
A new type of luxury facial tissue made with recycled panda feces is set to be launched in China.

I'll take a rain-check on that!



Fun Fact About the Sea Turtle
The leatherback sea turtle is the largest sea turtle and the largest living reptile.
They can grow up to 6 feet in length and weigh up to 2,000 pounds.
Leatherbacks are also unique among sea turtles in that instead of a hard carapace,
their shell bones are covered by a feather-like, oily skin.



Fun Fact About the Penguin
There are 18 species of penguin and they are found in a variety of countries.
All the way from Antarctica to the Equator.
Emperor penguins are the largest of all penguins with an average weight of 66 pounds,
but can weigh up to 88 pounds with a height of 3.8 feet.
Emperor penguin dads sit incubating the egg, waiting for an average of 115 days and up to 120,
during this time, they will loose about 40% of their body weight.



This is only about half of the pictures I took, I will show the other half tomorrow.
This is the second Lantern Festival we have attended.
This display was on Staten Island, 
only one hour and seven minutes from home.
We went on Saturday, 
the last day of the month long show was Sunday, it was very crowded.
But still we had a great time, and enjoyed every moment!

14 comments:

Ella said...

Oh! That is a very beautiful "lights festival"!
Thank you for your beautiful pictures!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I enjoyed reading the fun facts. The lantern festival looks like a fun time, they are all beautiful. So many lights and colors, your photos are lovely. Wishing you a great day and new week!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wow, that is very cool. I would have loved to walk through this magical display! So pretty and all the animals! Ditto on the panda poo...gross!

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh you went! That's wonderful.. I remember that panda fact.. eew.

Kim said...

I think I might leave those facial tissues alone, too. I am gobsmacked at the beauty of your photos of the winter lantern festival. To be there in the midst of all that beauty, light and colour would have been amazing.

Marie Smith said...

The colours are so vivid! It must have been fun to be able to attend and so close to home.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Ruth Hiebert said...

These displays are truly amazing and so, so colorful.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow! Incredible!

Brian King said...

Amazing and awesome are right! Wow! I've never seen a display like that. Beautiful colors!

Sue (this n that) said...

How exciting to see all of these Debbie. I can only imagine the thrill of actually being there. I love all those bright and happy colours.
Enjoyed the fun facts too.... perhaps, yes, I too shall skip the facial tissues ;D) xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness how cool, love the ones that sparkled, I bet that was something to see in person, and I loved the lights that hung from the trees. Learned some things I didn't know, I can't believe how much the panda's get rid of in such a short time, and no I don't think I will be trying those tissues, YUCK! That is neat that you not only saw so many cool things but that they had facts along the way too! I imagine it was a wonderful evening!

Sally said...

Such beauty! You and Chuck visit the best places!

Hey - on that new face stuff? Now, I'll be checking to see if it's made in China. ewwwww

xoxo

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs and I enjoyed the fun facts … although not too sure about the new type of facial tissue!

All the best Jan