Tuesday, May 31, 2022

An Unusual Sighting

Good morning everyone! 
I'm sure I am not the only one who has experienced the sighting of a bird or water fowl 
where you "think" that bird or water fowl may be new to you.
A bird that is somewhat familiar but it may not be acting the way you would expect.
This sighting goes back to April 8th and at first sight I thought it was a common seagull.
It behaved differently than the seagulls I am use to seeing,
it seemed much smaller than a seagull, and it was behaving like a diving duck.
I took many pictures, hoping that when I read my book I would find that it was "new to me".
It is!
I think, I hope...I hope I have identified it correctly.

A Bonaparte's Gull


According to my books it is a common small gull but I have never seen one in this part of New Jersey.
Perhaps because also, 
 according to my book, their territory only extends as far north as Cape May in New Jersey.
And they are only there during the winter.
So maybe, this was a rare sighting, as they are generally seen south of my area of New Jersey.

I'm so happy I took these pictures, as I do believe this is a sea gull that I have never seen before!

I also saw quite a few turtles on this day, this is a favorite spot for them.

The area around the lake was filled with pretty Robins...always surrounded by branches or sticks. 

It was such a beautiful day, we drove up and down Ocean Avenue,
stopping at this spot in Belmar for a picture.
If you didn't notice on your own, look at the hubs expression as he is being "eaten by a shark"!
He is so fun to be with, I had no idea he did that until I loaded the pictures on my computer.

- sometimes the best therapy is a long drive and a great song -

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie
Great captures of the Gull. It is a pretty one. I wish I was better at id-ing gulls. Love the turtle and robin. Cute photo of you and your hubby. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Marie Smith said...

We always get Bonaparte’s here in Late August. They are such tiny gulls. Love them. And more turtles. Love those critters!

Latane Barton said...

Well, isn't he a beauty! the gull, I mean (grin) but hubby is pretty handsome, too.

Changes in the wind said...

Cute picture of the two of you.

Rian said...

Great pics - as always, Debbie. I've not seen that small gull before either. And it makes me happy to see you and hubby having fun!

BeachGypsy said...

We have them here! I love to watch and LISTEN to the pelicans and the gulls ESPECIALLY the laughing gulls--- they Crack me up--- always make me look laugh!! LOL love the mermaid picture Debbie--- fun!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Love that gull ...
Fun picture of you and the hubs.

Enjoy this last day of May and good wishes for the new month of June.

All the best Jan

Brian King said...

Congratulations on the new sighting! Fortunately for us, birds don't always go "by the book". Love Chuck's expression! :-)

Conniecrafter said...

Always exciting to see a new bird, he/she is a cutie :)
Love how the turtles are stretching their necks.
I just love that picture of the two of you, so glad to hear it was such a great day out!