Saturday, May 28, 2022

Saturday's Critters #441

 On my spins around Lake of the Lilies, 
I am usually on the lookout for large birds and unusual ducks.
Finding an Egret or Heron makes me feel like the trip was really worthwhile.
On this day, I was feeling a little down as the lake was quiet,
no special ducks, the Heron was missing in action and there was only one Egret,
out of the reach of my lens.
Then I saw a yellow flash of color, a tiny, all yellow bird which was definitely not a goldfinch.
I was so excited...
it was a Male Yellow Warbler, here only during the winter, I had never seen one before.
After spending much time parked at the open shrub it emerged from,
I came to realize there were maybe 6 in total fluttering around in the shrub.

These pictures were taken on May 3rd, just before they left for the summer.





After spending time with the Yellow Warbler,
 I noticed a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, another bird we see here only during the winter.
Yellow-Rumped Warblers visit the feeders in my yard during the winter,
 I have shared many pictures of them here on my blog.


- there is always one stick -




The Turtles are back and I saw so many on this day...

2 here in this picture!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
for Saturday Critters

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love the birds but the turtles are fantastic! I have never lived where turtles live. Sigh! Thank you for sharing!

Lea said...

I always enjoy seeing turtles!
Your bird photos are beautiful!
Have a blessed day!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,

Your Warblers images are beautiful, great sightings and photos.
The turtles are cute too, I also enjoy seeing them.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love to see the turtles and we saw a black one this week...which was different! Love the Warblers too! And you are right...there's alway a stick or leaf in photos but you take some great ones!

Sandi said...

These photos are incredible, Debbie! Do you use a professional camera?

RedPat said...

Your shots are amazing as usual. It is always nice to spot a turtle.

Debbie said...

hi sandi, not really, i don't think. i use a nikon coolpix B700 all in one camera. meaning i do not have to remove the lens to zoom it. it is much easier for me to handle!

Phil Slade said...

The two warblers are in fine condition, all ready for the breeding season in attracting a mate. Have a lovely Sunday Debbie.

Penelope Notes said...

I find the buttery yellow bird particularly enchanting. Thanks for sharing your world. :)

BeachGypsy said...

Yellow warblers are gorgeous!! We do get the yellow rump ones here-- diana told me they are called "butter butts"!! Ha ha LOL-- I think she identified mine when I didn't know what it was

Jeanie said...

Lake of the Lilies. What a gorgeous name -- and what fabulous photos you discovered while there. I must say, that shockingly yellow warbler makes my heart sing, just looking at the photo. It looks like a wonderful spot to discover some beautiful creatures!

Thank you so much for coming over to Marmelade Gypsy and leaving a lovely comment on my post. I was looking down at your posts and especially interested in the one about the carousel at the pier. What a gem that is! So very nice to meet you!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful birds. The Yellow Warbler almost glows.

Brian King said...

Awesome finds! We only see warblers during spring/summer. Those are beautiful birds!

Linda said...

Beautiful warblers! And the turtles are fun to see.

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful birds and turtles.

All the best Jan

Conniecrafter said...

so exciting to see the warblers I am sure, I have not seen an all yellow one like that, they are so sweet. Great pics of them and like the turtles, we saw some big ones at a park we went to yesterday, oh my goodness it is so HOT here I was dripping.

Ida said...

Your birds are so sweet looking. I love birds with yellow in their feathers. There has been a very small yellow bird that has landed in our trees but I'm never able to get a decent picture of it. Yours are wonderful. Loved seeing the turtles too.