Saturday, July 17, 2021

Saturday's Critters # 396

 It's summer and summer means caterpillar time.
I started my dill seeds early in the season in the house and transferred the plants outside,
after the last frost and the dill plants have done well.
The black swallowtail butterflies found it right away and started to lay eggs.

This is what cage #2 looks like right now.
I took all of these pictures this morning, right after cleaning the cage.
This cage has 15 caterpillars in it, of varying ages.

Some are very young.
In this picture you can clearly see all of the different sizes.

This guy is the biggest.



You can see how they hold the dill and eat it!




Cage #1 had 6 caterpillars,
2 died...
I think they died because we fed them store bought dill.
Above, one is in chrysalis and one is in a "J" hook,
the stage right before chrysalis.
You can see the silk threads they spin in order to hold themselves up.

Sometimes they are green in the chrysalis stage,
most often, they are brown.

This cage having 4 chrysalis, we will have butterflies in 14 days or less.

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
for Saturday Critters

19 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh my you have the best fun and luck with this! Great captures and what an experience. Thanks so much.

Rian said...

Great pictures, Debbie!

betty said...

Fascinating!! Loved the pictures too. They are so colorful as caterpillars!

betty

Rain said...

Those are great Debbie! You took some lovely photos!

Marie Smith said...

I always enjoy your butterfly adventures, Debbie. I look forward to another year of wonder!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have said before you are the Butterfly Whisperer. I am sure they would much rather have your homegrown dill than store bought.
They are happy you are home now too. Love the caterpillars and the photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Lowcarb team member said...

Amazing ...
Great photographs.

Happy weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

RedPat said...

Amazing to see!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Ginny, this is WONDERFUL and reminds me of my falling in love with butterflies and their life cycle years ago!! You are an angel to do this for Mother Nature...jp

The Furry Gnome said...

I've only seen one of those 'in the wild' so to speak, in the gardens at the rehab hospital where I spent two months.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is amazing.

Linda said...

What is wrong with store-bought dill?

Linda said...

Utterly amazing! You love your butterflies like I love my bees!

Debbie said...

pesticides!! even though it was organic, and we washed it/soaked it well, the caterpillars that ate it died!! it had to have been the dill!!

Kay said...

I'm always amazed at your amazing photos. I hope you'll post photos of the butterflies too. I can see they are not monarchs.

Brian King said...

Glad to see you are still raising the little ones! You've released LOTS of butterflies.

LeAnn said...

I have always enjoyed reading about your adventures with raising Caterpillars and the changing to Butterflies. I have learned a ton from reading your posts on the process. Thanks for sharing these special critters. God's wonderful creations are so fun to learn about.
Sending loving thoughts and hugs!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh how wonderful! I always look forward to your caterpillar/butterfly posts 🐛🦋xo

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like they are enjoying that very much, so sorry to hear a couple didn't make it, I am sure the stuff your grow is a lot better :)