Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Treasures of the Sea!!!!

I grew up on the Jersey Shore where I spent most of my summer day's on the beaches in Seaside. I have been collecting sea glass since I was a child. I always found it more fasinating then shells and although I did pick up a shell or two growing up, my main obsession was sea glass. First things first, let me show you what I am talking about........

this...

and this.

These 2 pictures equal the contents of that large glass bowl
that's a lot of sea glass,
all from my "growing up" years.
I found every single piece!

This dish which holds some of my favorite pieces.

I am still so facinated by the glass and because I have been going to the beach a lot lately,
of course I had to purchase this,

a book devoted to sea glass
isn't it beautiful!

On all my recent trips to the beach, Chuck and I search for hours for glass and are finding next to nothing. With recycling in the forefront of everyone's minds these days and so much awareness about trying to keep our oceans clean, perhaps we really are doing a better job at taking care of our earth. So, my eye has turned ever so slightly to shells...

Atlantic Slipper Shell
With it's concave shape and little seat inside
it's also known as the Boat Shell.

Fallen Angel Wing
Delicate and Collectible
A Rare Treasure

Blood Ark
Considered a Good Find, I love the fossil like impression in it.
Chuck found the piece of sea glass, it was definately the "find of the day.

Eastern Oyster's
Common Shell I found facinating
the one on the end left has purple in it!

Coquina
Another common shell, found in a rainbow of colors
often at the shore line.

A little shell bowl I found in Cape May
filled with common shells, all found on the beaches in Spring Lake.

And of course....I did pick up a guide,

I was unable to find a book that worked,
this guide was exactly what I was looking for!
Did you think I just knew all of the above?






1 comment:

TexWisGirl said...

I had a friend that grew up on Long Island and she collected sea glass too. It's really neat. (I'm rather glad it's becoming rare tho!)