Saturday, April 27, 2024

Saturday Critters #541

 The weather turned cold yesterday but prior to that it has been really beautiful here.
Cloudless skies and warm temperatures.
We dedicated several days to getting out in the car and a few walks here and there.
I have had some random critter sightings that were my favorites.

This turtle was huge...bigger than I have ever seen out in nature.
The hubs saw it's head from quite a distance away and said "that's not a turtle, is it"?
I saw it and replied, "I think it is", sped up on my zingerchair and sure enough, it was.

I saw this Heron at the Silver Lake, it was far off in the distance, 
I had to really zoom in to get this picture.

I saw this Great Blue Heron hiding in the grasses at the same lake, a lake I need to visit more often.
This was my favorite picture of the day.
I spooked it and it flew off...

But much to my surprise, after I spooked it...I was able to capture 3 flight images, which I never get...



I was thrilled!

That evening the sunset was so pretty!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

18 comments:

Rian said...

Wow! I really loved these pics, Debbie. That huge turtle pic was wonderful and the heron in the grass and in flight! Loved these. (and thanks for the note)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Wow! What a colorful sunset! It usually doesn't last long and you have to be ready with your camera. Love the herons and what a handsome turtle. I saw a tortoise running faster than I would have thought this week! Hugs!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Beautiful sunset and what a treat to see that turtle in the wild. Kind of amazing!!

RedPat said...

Love the Heron shots especially the 1st one. It is always a thrill to spot a turtle in the wild.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie :=)
Beautiful sunset, and shots of the herons and well done for getting those flight shots. I have never seen such a large turtle, what a surprise.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Sonjia.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great shots of the Heron!

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Great nature photo of 'critters' ~ especially like the amazing turtle ~ hugs

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Villrose said...

Fantastic turtle and turtle shot!
Love herons. They might be seen here too.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful captures despite the cold! Love the giant turtle and the Great Blue Heron in flight.

Barwitzki said...

Your photos are beautiful... each one is a pleasure to look at.
Thank you very much.
Wonderful encounters you had.
Viola wishes you a happy Sunday

Barwitzki said...

...yes, dear Debbie, to your question on my blog, I have knitted a lot but have now switched to sewing - first there were small bags, then larger ones and now clothing and also patchwork - my dream is large blankets: -))))
A greeting to you and a hug for you from Viola.

Marie Smith said...

Love the heron in the grass and in flight. Its stance makes it look cold there alright. Love the turtle! Huge! Great shots, Debbie.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You got some gorgeous shots. Those herons can be so tolerant or they can spook easy.

Lowcarb team member said...

Love that huge turtle.
Amazing shots of the heron in flight.
Beautiful sunset.

All the best Jan

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie
Sorry I am late visiting and commenting.
Love the heron photos, great flight captures.
The turtle is cute and the sunset is gorgeous.
Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.
PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Jeanie said...

I am so in love with herons (my "own" Harry is close to being a blog mascot -- not quite, but close!). Your photos are simply fantastic. Beautifully done, sharp as a tack. What a magnificent sighting!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that is a pretty big turtle, so cool! Great shot of the Heron taking off, it is so neat to watch them fly! Lovely Sunset to finish off the day!

Brian King said...

That's a BIG turtle indeed! Great photos of the GBH! A favorite. Super sunset, too!