Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Volunteer Plants

 A few years back, I purchased and planted (well not me, the hubs) a beautiful, deep purple butterfly bush.
It had my name written all over it.
I (hehe, he) planted it by the gate, the entrance to the back yard, and it has done very well there.
The "landscaper/gardner", whom we have discussed here before...
the one who was hired to put mulch in the garden beds, hacked it back to almost nothing.

Here's how it looks now.
Said gardner was not hired to prune any plants or shrubs...and yet he did.
This butterfly bush was quite big and really pretty, it bloomed all summer long.

Last summer, in an empty pot sitting out by the pool, 
I noticed a butterfly bush growing, a "volunteer plant" and it was getting quite big.

I, the hubs, transplanted it from the pot to this perfect spot my garden.

And here's how it looks today.




Isn't the color lovely?

I am waiting patiently for my butterflies!

9 comments:

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

The butterfly bush looks beautiful after pruning. Your photos are wonderful.
Greetings hugs.

Bonnie K said...

I am so jealous. We are too old for them, yet I tried. Yes, it died.

Rian said...

Your 'volunteer' butterfly bush is beautiful. We have several plants (a honeysuckle and several others) that we consider a gift from the birds...
BTW, my DIL brought me a picture of a caterpillar that she needed identified. I looked it up and it turned out to be a Giant Swallowtail caterpillar! We see lots of Black Swallowtails here, but not many Giant Swallowtails. She was thrilled.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love the blooms on your butterfly bush, it is a pretty purple color.
Hubby cut our bush way back and now it is taller than I am.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Marie Smith said...

It is a beauty. Hope you get lots of visitors!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Gorgeous blooms!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow how cool is that you were able to give it a new life in a pretty part of your garden, I bet the butterflies are not far behind, or they are coming when you aren't looking. I moved my hummingbird feeder where I can see it more often and I can't get over how much business I am getting now :)

Ruth S said...

I have a few on my bush and saw one Monarch the other day.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your butterfly bush is a beautiful colour.

All the best Jan