Saturday, August 3, 2019

Saturday Critters ~ 294 ~

- Round Two -

Yesterday, 
I brought 12 new caterpillars inside our home to their new home.

They are munching away on the second batch of dill I planted and I am now bringing inside!
Here you can see the caterpillar holding the dill in it's tiny legs/prolegs while eating it.
You can also see both eyes!

On the right sided caterpillar, you can see both eyes also!

I have 2 cages, 
yesterday I cleaned cage number one, 
 and I cut the chrysalis out of the first cage for the butterflies that have evolved.
This is what the pieces look like.
The fibers/silk they hang from is very strong and difficult to cut.
I still have 2 chrysalis in this cage that have yet to emerge.


This is a Skipper Butterfly
I have just started to see these on my butterfly bush.

18 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great job you are doing, Debbie. Mother Nature is no doubt thanking you. The skipper, more precisely in case you are interested, is a Silver-spotted Skipper.

Black Knight said...

Every critter is wonderful, they are part of our world. Beautiful photos.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, beautiful shots of the Skipper. You are wonderful, raising these butterflies. Love the photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

Latane Barton said...

Those caterpillars look like they are wrapped in dill weed. They dressed for their surroundings.

Brian King said...

Very nice! I guess it's one of those things where you never know what you're gonna get until it opens. Beautiful skipper!

Marie Smith said...

Imagine the silk being so strong. Guess it has to be for survival of the species. So fascinating, Debbie. Thank you.

Karen Lakis said...

I have had so much fun watching your butterfly adventure!

Susie said...

Debbie, I hope you have enough dill for all those caterpillars. I remember you saying they sure eat a lot. LOL. I think you are amazing helping our world with your butterflies. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie

Lea said...

I have some of those skipper butterflies on my Buddleia (butterfly bush). Your photos are great!
Wonderful photos of caterpillars on dill, too.
Have a great weekend!

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! You have quite the butterfly 'hatchery' going there.

italiafinlandia said...

Simply enchanting. The Skipper butterfly is also beautiful!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love what you are doing too! And what fun for us to see the process! I've never seen anything like it! Good job! Happy weekend!

Conniecrafter said...

how fun to have them still going, seems like last year you only had them for the beginning of the summer, or am I wrong. So fun to see different ones!

LeAnn said...

I love the photos of the caterpillars. They are very details and It was fun to see them that close. Very interesting how you help them emerge. I enjoy these posts very much.
Blessings and hugs!

roughterrain crane said...

Caterpillars change their shapes to beautiful butterflies. It is a miracle.

21 Wits said...

Wow you do such a great job of this!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I’m enthralled!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous Debbie … you are doing a great job.

All the best Jan