Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Planting Pretty Paper Whites

Last week I ordered Paper White bulbs from Amazon.com,
 to force bloom indoors this winter.
They came a few days later, don't you just love Amazon.com...
It's so much better than crowded stores, I don't really like to shop,
I needed a few things and I found everything there.

The bulbs looked healthy, only 1 of the 10 was dead,
 that's usually the deal.

I had a plan, pots and stones ready to go,
but most of that was a complete fail.
I needed pots that would hold water, and two out of my three
 choices were not holding water.
New plan, backup plan, use glass vases.
At first I was very unhappy with the outcome/look but soon after,
things came together and I was happy with the end result.

 The tools needed for this project...
the empty pot and the cute canvas bag, which is lined with plastic
would not hold water.

 So I filled some glass vases, a mason jar and some other odd
glass jars I had and although I did not like how they looked
and it wasn't the plan, this worked.

Once I placed everything into the flowers basket and onto my wooden tray
it looked great and now I am happy!!

This information card came with the bulbs and offered great
information for planting them.

The bulbs only need support, not nutrients...

so planting them in stones and water works well.

I also gave my basil a good and much needed haircut.

My orchid is getting ready to bloom, there are a total of 6 buds,

and my Cyclamen has 2 beautiful blooms.

This is my little indoor garden all tidied up...
small but sweet!



27 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

You are going to have a wonderful display of flowers. I am nearly home now from my trip to Malawi and Zambia, just waiting at Heathrow for my flight this afternoon but thanks for leaving me all the comments when I was away.

Nancy Chan said...

Looking forward to see your paper white flowers. Your cyclamen are so pretty!

Latane Barton said...

I'm so jealous. I love paperwhites but the only time I ever tried to grow them it just did not work for me. Okay, now the secret is out... I DO NOT have a green thumb. Shhhh, don't tell anybody.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

very cool

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, Debbie! Your little indoor garden is cute. I just love that basket. I will look forward to seeing the paperwhites blooming.. Enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

I am planting my paperwhites this weekend!
I so love doing this at this time of year, when there is not much color.

Mine always get really tall (and then fall over!). I then read that when this happens, you should mix vodka in the water that you water them with. Figured I had nothing to lose. It has worked for 3 years in a row!
Stunts the green growth to about half, and the flowers are still beautiful.

Farm Girl said...

How nice to force bulbs. I love paperwhites. I love Amazon too and just hate to shop. So I am with you on that.
I love seeing your gardens.

21 Wits said...

Oh they are going to be such a treat very soon! Perfect plan for over winter!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Debbie, you've become a gardener?
You'll have plenty of beautiful spring flowers.
Greetings.

Sally said...

awe - you are so smart. I love watching and hearing what you're up to. :)

xoxo

Ruth Hiebert said...

You must have a green thumb for sure.Everything seems to grow just fine for you.

TexWisGirl said...

cute little suzy homemaker/gardener... :)

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Boa noite, as fotos são lidas, as mesmas revelam um pequeno jardim no tamanho, mas grande no carinho e no amor.
AG

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, I've just got to say the Cyclamen looks absolutely fantastic, what a great shade.
It's nice to have colour / blooms around the house.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, I've just got to say the Cyclamen looks absolutely fantastic, what a great shade.
It's nice to have colour / blooms around the house.

All the best Jan

Brian King said...

Nice job with the bulbs! After much back and forth we did the Amazon Prime thing last year and it's already paid for itself. If I need to order something online, Amazon is usually the first place I go.

karen said...

Beautiful! Great idea!

The Furry Gnome said...

Hope they grow successfully!

Debbie said...

Latane, I am not able to click through your comment to comment on your blog. Something with this new Google +. If you can send me an email with the link, I will save it to my reading list! Thanks, Debbie

Debbie said...

Is this my friend Karen, who use to leave me comments?? Who I have not seen in a while?? I have been missing you and hoping you were ok!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh I remember doing that with paperwhites and narcissis ... I know yours will be beautiful. I thought in the post above this that you meant you had ordered a paper white Kindle from Amazon and a hard cove book as well for your knitting shelf! ;)))

karen said...

Oh how nice for you to remember me. Yes it's me. I don't leave many comments but a day hasn't went by that I haven't read your interesting stories. Wishing you and your family a wonderful new year... ♥

Anonymous said...

I like your little indoor garden. Can't wait to see those paperwhites! I go through seasons. Sometimes I want indoor plants, other times, I don't want the hassle. My basil also needs a haircut. I'm thinking pesto is in order!

Conniecrafter said...

How lovely to have the look of spring in the middle of winter, such a sweet treat and I bet it brings a smile to your face every time you look at it. Can't wait to see all the blooms ;)

LeAnn said...

I love your little indoor garden. You are so amazing and I like to follow your adventures in gardening. I admire your creativity. Blessings and hugs~

Ana Love Craft said...

Wow! Lovely garden!By curiosity my orchid is getting ready to bloom too.
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Hi there sweet Debbie! My, you have quite the loveliness taking place in your home! I do love Orchids and yours is stunning!

It's a delight to have you at Roses of Inspiration. Thanks for joining the party. Hugs!