Monday, January 3, 2022

House Plants

For some time now, I have been wanting to add a few house plants to my very small collection.
Right before Christmas, when we visited Barlow Flower Farm, I purchased two small plants.
One Cactus, and one Succulent.
Although I did not buy any of the 5 suggested in the article, I will keep it bookmarked for future reference.

This is the Cacti, Moon Cactus, sporting a pretty yellow flower.

This is the Succulent, Haworthia Zebra Spiky 

Behind it is a Kalanchoe with small pink flowers that has become tall and leggy,
and quite unhealthy looking.
Once the blooms die off I am going to trim it way back!

This Kalanchoe too is very leggy with yellow flowers.
It also needs a good haircut.

Cyclamen
I have had this plant for more than 10 years, right now it has 2 buds and one very weird shaped flower.

My Orchid has more than 12 buds on it, it will be in full bloom soon.


I planted 10 paper white bulbs on Saturday, they had small sprouts when I took them out of the bag.


I always use this same, shallow pot and plant them in rocks...they do not need soil.
They will grow very tall and I use disposable chop sticks to support them.
I always save them when they come with our takeout, we don't use them to eat, 
but they are great for this purpose.

I love my copper watering can, that is a fairly recent purchase.

- let's root for each other and watch each other grow -


16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie
Your house plants are pretty, I love the blooms. I would like to try growing the paperwhites, do they need a lot of sunshine?
Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie,:=) As a rule I don't like cacti , but having said that, I have many that have been given to me, and some look gorgeous when in flower, and the ones I like, do just as well indoors as outside. I have taken many cuttings of the Kalancho, over the years, I realise it's more of a succulent than a cacti, but all took well and are still doing well. At this time of the year though they do tend to get leggie, so in spring I prune them, and stick the cuttings deep in the soil again, and it doesn't take long for them to form roots. Mine are orange and rust coloured and make a fine display when planted in a huge pot that I have on the patio. It was Paula, who gave them to me in a tiny pot, little did I know that I would end up with five large plants. I learnt today that Paper Whites don't need soil, I find that so interesting, and shall be watching how well yours do, and also your Orchid. I too like your copper watering can, its decorative as well as useful. I have a smaller one with a long curved spout for the plants which hang high up.
The fragrant flowers intrigue me, so I'll be stopping by again to learn more.:=)

Marie Smith said...

It is always good to focus on beauty inside these days. The outside can be so depressing.l.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The pink flower is very pretty! And this is a good idea and makes your home healthy. I need to figure out some plants for my house this year. Happy new year! Hope you're home and staying warm today with the winter weather!

Debbie said...

they do eileen, i have read just that they need "pretty of bright light"!!

Black Knight said...

Beautiful plants. My wife also likes to put flowers everywhere at home cyclamen and orchids included.

Veronica Lee said...

Your houseplants are very lovely, Debbie.

Happy 2022!

DeniseinVA said...

Fun to see all your pretty houseplants this morning and those rocks speak to me too :) It's snowing like the dickens here. Big flakes! Happy New Year!

Bev said...

So pretty .. I’m not good with plants .. plus when we went south ... plants weren’t an option... Now I just bring in my ferns for the winter and spend moments everyday picking up the shedding they do🤦🏼‍♀️

Lowcarb team member said...

I don't always have 'green-fingers' when it comes to house plants...
Your cyclamen is a lovely colour.

Have a good week.

All the best Jan

Ida said...

How fun to see all your plants. I miss having house plants but with cats you have to be so careful about what type you have that I just haven't had them in years. - I look forward to seeing your Paper Whites when they bloom.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your two new plants are a nice addition to the others.

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like great additions to your plant collection! We had bought some cactus while out west a couple years ago, they all came in the same pot, two of them have died believe it or not and so we only have one of them now.
I like how you have a lot of blooming plants, I have two that bloom myself. Little buttons has found that digging in the dirt of one of them, little stinker

Linda said...

I love how you ended the post....let's root for each other and watch each other grow!!

21 Wits said...

Paper whites are something special, and they offer a beautiful scent too? All of your inside plants are doing well, you must have just the right amount of light for them all.

LeAnn said...

You have such a green thumb. I love how you plant and raise your flowers. I have learned alot from you. I love the photos and thoughts today.
Hugs!