Saturday, November 30, 2019

Saturday Critters ~ 311 ~

We had some warm weather this week, warm enough for a look around
The Herons do not migrate, 
but a lot of the birds that do migrate are here.
The lake is quite big and most of them swim "in the dead center of the lake".

I have 33 pictures of this Heron that all look exactly like this.

It only moved when I moved, go figure...

and I was happy to get 1 flight shot!

The Gadwalls are here for winter.
A familiar and rather understated dabbling duck, the male is quite beautiful in flight!

I saw both the male and female Wood Ducks.
They did not really want to come out for pictures, but I was happy to see them.
The Wood Ducks are present in New Jersey year round but only visit this lake in winter.


She is beautiful and gets little credit for how pretty she is.

The American Coots are back...

as are the Rudy Ducks.
I will try to get a close up next time I go back.

Sharing today with Eileen at Viewing Nature With Eileen

16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never seen coots here but the others are around in the summer.

That is a great photo of the heron is flight, Debbie. Love it!

Sally said...

Hi Debbie, I'm just stopping by for a bit. Have missed seeing my friend's posts these last few weeks, but that doesn't mean I don't think about you, all of you. :)

xoxo

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your do see a nice variety of ducks and birds there for the winter. I love the heron and the wood ducks are beautiful. All your photos are gorgeous. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for the visit and comment on my blog.

Cloudia said...

Wow! Glad to meet YOU!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the wood ducks and isn't it neat when the colors are so pretty at the bottom of a photo....all Christmasy! When a bird stands still....we tend to take more than one photo too! hahaha!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs you've posted here.
I love the wood ducks and the heron in flight.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Rian said...

Love that flight shot!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful images. Take good care of these birds and then send them my way in spring.I will be waiting for them.

Brian King said...

Beautiful! You know I love the heron, but the Wood Ducks are gorgeous, too!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

It is good to get out and you usually feel better for having made the effort and you were rewarded with seeing all thses beautiful birds. Great shots Debbie. Have a great week ahead.

Ella said...

All these birds are all over the world ... Aren't they beautiful?

Kathie said...

So beautiful! I love the wood ducks especially!

Changes in the wind said...

How great to catch that heron in flight! So many ducks and so many colors, all unique.

italiafinlandia said...

Pretty critters, indeed!

LeAnn said...

Well these are amazing shots of each of these different birds. You get such beautiful up-close photos. Loved this one!
Sending hugs your way!

Conniecrafter said...

It is weird that they only move when you do, I know I have seen quite a few that really don't do much moving around. Wow that shore of the water really was crowded wasn't it. My favorite of all the pics was the one you got of the Heron in flight, that's terrific!