Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Berries For Breakfast

From my home office windows,
I am distracted by the leaves falling from the trees and the sound of the song birds in the yard.
I decide to get up, 
camera in hand, and see what is happening
in those beautiful trees that are letting go of their colorful leaves.
I open up the window and immediately see an American Robin having breakfast in the Cedar Tree.






I felt so lucky to have observed this Robin enjoying breakfast.
To have put my work aside, for just a few minutes...it was really a lot of minutes...
to enjoy my beautiful yard, the falling leaves and the birds.

I always thought the Robin was a migrating bird, 
but according to my book, it is present pretty much everywhere in the US., year round.
This is a male because of it's dark "underparts", 
the females are much lighter.
There are a few other slight differences, but the undercarriage is a quick way to tell.
The Robins are friendly birds, 
they do not eat from the feeders but rather they dig up my grass looking for earth worms.
They are so beautiful and abundant in my yard, year round!

Now, I am out of work mode and I have decided to knit...
and the pile of work and mail grows.

- I'm in trouble -

18 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

American Robin is a migratory species in the northern areas of its range, but even this phenomenon is changing with climate change. Where I live in southern Ontario it used to be extremely rare to see a robin in winter, but now it is quite common, and there are ravines and wooded areas where they can be found throughout the winter. They can find shelter, the mean winter temperature is higher, and they can exploit micro climates. They do not feed directly on my bird feeders, but are adept at snatching up the seed knocked down to the ground by other birds.

Kim said...

The work can wait, there is knitting to be done. =) How lovely the view from your office window is. How delightful the robins visit you year round. He is a pretty fellow that robin of yours.

Andy said...

As always, beautiful photos. Thanks for tip on how to get out of work. :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is good to take a break from work. Your Robin photos are lovely. Have a great day and week ahead.

Marie Smith said...

Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses, Debbie, or watch the robins!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

nom nom

italiafinlandia said...

Beautiful! And so colourful...more than the European Robin.

Changes in the wind said...

What a beautiful picture with the green background, purple berries, red breast, black around the eyes and yellow beak. A bursting color pallet.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh what a wonderful distraction you had, those are gorgeous pics of him in the tree having his snack!! Love your sunny background, everything is just perfect!!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Beautiful bird and great photos.
The cedar with fruit looks wonderful.
Hugs and greetings.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful images of the Robin. I find that putting put raisins is a sure way to draw the Robins to the feeder, or as in my case, the railing of the deck.

Lowcarb team member said...

The robin is my favourite bird.
I don't think the ones we get in the UK are as colourful as yours, none-the-less I always enjoy seeing them.

These photographs are fabulous Debbie, they would make a lovely card or calendar.

Wishing you a good week.

All the best Jan

Sue (this n that) said...

Oh Debbie, such a blissful time you had birdgazing... and photographing! Time spent like that is more valuable than anything money could buy isn't it. We get to benefit too, by seeing those gorgeous moments. The berries are a lovely part of each scene. Hugs xx

Angie said...

Debbie - I, for one, am glad that you got distracted! This is are simply gorgeous photos, especially the one with the berry in its beak! We don't see many robins here in the winter - the ground is too frozen for them to find food … but I always enjoy their return - a sure harbinger of spring!

Brian King said...

Excellent photos! Great wing shot! There are always some around during winter here in KY. I assume they must adapt to food sources other than worms (as your photos show) when the ground is frozen.

Ella said...

Very beautiful pictures!

Carol Henstra said...

In Canada that is our fav Bird as well. He comes to us early then we know. Spring is not far off. I have berries most mornings for Breakfast. Blueberries' Strawberries'. Anything Berries. Lovely View from your window.

Karen Lakis said...

Wow - these are beautiful images! I think that I only see robins in the spring and summer - their orange breast is always a welcome sight!