Sunday, September 9, 2018

We Have More...Caterpillars That Is!

At some point, when I realized just how many caterpillars I had,
I was sure I would not have enough dill to feed them to the finish line.
It is not recommended to feed them store bought herbs because of pesticides.
The hubs planted some more and sure enough, 

we got an excellent crop of dill.
Much to my surprise, we made it to the chrysalis stage without needing it.
What I had not anticipated, was getting more caterpillars,
and that we did...11 more to be exact!



I did a lot of reading and research, 
and decided the best action was to raise them indoors.

I ordered another butterfly house so as not to mix them with the chrysalis
and here we go again.

I released this butterfly yesterday and it just won't leave,
I now suspect that it is not able to fly.


It was very clingy when I brought it outside yesterday,

and when I went outside this morning, it was still hanging on.

I clipped a piece of my butterfly bush and brought it back inside.
My research tells me they should not be kept indoors for more that 24 hours.
If anyone has any knowledge on the subject, I would love to hear it.

16 comments:

DDD said...

I admire all your work.
I have raised Monarch and black swallowtails for more than ten years. One monarch emerged yesterday but would not fly away.
My guessing: they absorb energy from the sun to be able to fly far.
I live in NJ.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You deserve a good deal of praise for this. It is encouraging to see someone fostering and encouraging nature instead of destroying it.

Susie said...

Debbie, I am amazed. What wonderful butterflies. I have never heard of that about keeping them inside too long. If so maybe he can be a beautiful view for you. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

21 Wits said...

Oh my they know a great place to be, and it's with you! Great captures. I tried catching a cool shot for my critters too!

italiafinlandia said...

Wonderful work and shots!
I guess it needs some time...

Marie Smith said...

You are a butterfly whisperer, Debbie!

Kim said...

Why I do believe you are the queen of the butterflies, Debbie. Gorgeous photos!

Sally said...

You certainly have a new calling in life, and I'm sure the butterflies love you. Look at that! Proud of y'all.

xoxo

Michelle said...

I don't know why it won't fly, but I hope it recovers. I admire your work with these delicate creatures.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Wow,what a butterfly nursery you have!

LeAnn said...

Oh, this butterfly is lovely. It is interesting that it won’t take flight. You are probably right that it can’t fly. I love how you tenderly care for them. You a really are awesome at nurturing. I think it is amazing that you are raising 11 more. What a wonderful woman you are in so many different ways.
Blessings and hugs!

Judy said...

This continually amazes me!! Maybe the blue butterfly was too cold and just wanted to stay on your porch for awhile. It has been rainy in NJ lately, hasn't it? Are you going to be able to release all of them before cold weather sets in?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh dill must be the best host plant for them! We saw a lot of wild dill growing in the fields around the Arcata Marsh, but now I wonder if they planted it specially for this reason. Wonderful work you're doing -- I hope somebody knows why that one beautiful butterfly won't/can't fly.

Ida said...

I didn't know butterflies ate dill. Guess you learn something everyday. They sure are beautiful.

Brian King said...

LOL! You have quite the little butterfly farm going there! No idea about the non-flying issue.

Karen Lakis said...

Beautiful! You have a very gentle soul to care for these caterpillars and butterflies as you do!