Saturday, October 31, 2020

Saturday Critters ~ 359 ~

 The weather has just been terrible here in New Jersey, 
fog, rain and wind...I can't remember the last time I saw the sun.

Still, when we have time, we take a ride to Lake of the Lilies, drive around the lake
and look for hidden critters to photograph!!
The Great Egrets are still here and I have been seeing them during each visit.
This Egret played with it's catch of the day for some time...






really torturing it...

before swallowing it whole, not very difficult to do!

It took off soon after, I was happy to get one decent flight shot.

There are a lot of Sparrows in the bushes close to the lake, this one is a Male House Sparrow.

This one a Female House Sparrow.

I think this is the fanciest fungi I have ever seen, definitely picture worthy!

Good thing I had a Pot Roast to cook on Thursday, 
it was the perfect weather day for it.

Cooked with this...

it went into the oven looking like this...

Plated...
I think this is this best thing to eat on a stormy day!

Do you have a favorite meal for an unseasonable day?

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

19 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Watching your egret devour it's prey reminded me of my monitoring the Osprey nests this past Summer when they would return to the nest with the fishing wriggling in their talons. One more thing...your pot roast feast reminds me of our comfort dinner the other night...meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans...YUM!...:)jp

BeachGypsy said...

Great pictures of the egret. Oh YES!!!---a good roast is like my favorite Sunday supper meal. With good "smashed" "taters" LOL.......and gravy. Carrots, onions, celery, all the good stuff. Served with those good Sister Shubert rolls and that makes my day, ha ha ha ha LOL. Hope y'all have a great weekend my friend, get out and make some pictures for us okay?

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Great photos, the Egret is playing with his food. The Sparrows are cute. I have seen similar fungi, it looks pretty. The pot roast looks yummy. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anonymous said...

Your egret shots are just beautiful! A sunnier day would have made him too bright. These are wonderful! And the meal looks delicious...the human one. I'll leave the sushi to the egret.

RedPat said...

Your pics of the Egret are wonderful!

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous photos of the egret and the sweet house sparrow ~ Yummy looking meal too ~ ^_^


Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images to Great Egret eating a tiny fish.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that fancy fungi! It's the weather for them I think. The little Sparrows are cute and the Egret is beautiful. We made a pot of chili this week with just a little cool down here and tonight we are going to have chili dogs with the left overs. Happy weekend!

Yvonne said...

Lots of things to see on a wet day, and your dinner looks so comforting.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That pot roast sure looks tasty.

Marie Smith said...

Any comfort food suits us. Soups and stews with crusty bread are common these days.

That egret is gorgeous. You took some great shots, Debbie.

Conniecrafter said...

Love the pics of them eating, and you did get a great shot of him flying away! Wow that fungi is something else that's for sure, must be doing so well with all the rain you all have been getting! I am not sure what I like for a stormy or cool day, anything warm is good :)

Linda said...

Great series on the egret!

Kim said...

Yep, pot roast is the perfect comfort food for a stormy day. The egret is beautiful. A stunning photo of it in flight, Debbie.

Anu said...

Hello.
Wonderful photos of egret. His eye looks so great. I like sparrows too.
Take care.

Brian King said...

Beautiful egret! If they can catch enough small ones I guess it makes a meal. Speaking of which, your meal looks fantastic!

Lowcarb team member said...

That definitely is a very fancy fungi.

We have had a very wet and windy weekend, so I turn to soups and casseroles :)

All the best Jan

LeAnn said...

I'll take your delicious looking meal on a stormy day. I loved the Egret photos and that was a great flight photo. The photos of the cute sparrows were fantastic. The Fungi photo was incredible. I love taking a drive with you both; I see and learn so much.
Blessings and hugs!

Kay said...

You take the most amazing photos, Debbie. The egret is such an elegant bird.