Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Building the Nest

I have spent most of today watching 2 robins build a nest. I have watched them tear up parts of my beautifully manicured lawn. I have watched them work together, chase each other and fight. They are exhausting to watch. I had no idea how much planning and work was involved in building the all important nest. They have not stopped for a moment and getting pictures was nearly impossible. I share this with all of you for the beauty of the story, not the photo's.

Can you see that big clump of muddy grass in her beak???
That's what they were interested in.......


here's another terrible shot, but you can see the clump of muddy grass.....


this was the view all day, nose down, gathering wet grass!!!!!


this is the best shot I could get of the nest,
it's huge, right in the center of the picture.


She seemed somewhat concerened when I came out to get a picture of the nest!!!!!


So I can only assume that soon we will have this........


and this,
but everything will be way out of sight this year!!!!!! 

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh i hope they will do well. birds put so much effort into nesting and feeding and caring for their young. i feel terribly sad when it doesn't work out well!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Home building is hard work,eve for a Robin.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love watching the Robins they build their nests in some strange places here on the farm. B

Tammy said...

It's fun to watch the nest building in the spring. They pick some of the strangest places!

Farm Girl said...

At least you could get pictures. I never can. I like how deep the nest looks and the blue eggs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I love the photo of the eggs! Aren't they the most brilliant color?!

Purple happens to be my favorite color...I love the title and the look of your blog!

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Anonymous said...

Hi again Debbie,

I've just finished the tour of your house and garden, I just have to say WOW! You have a gorgeous home and garden- Thanks for the virtual tour, I enjoyed it!