Sunday, March 10, 2024

Saturday Critters #534

 The duck population at Lake of the Lilies is low and the swans have not returned.
We usually have more winter ducks but the lake is somewhat empty.


There is a new tree that was planted recently, in late 2023, and there is a plaque to memorialize the tree.
It is a 'Peace Tree" how needed at this time!



There were only a few Mallards...the Male Mallard above the female below.




There was a huge group of the Greater Scaup, way out in the middle of the lake.
I shared pictures of them last week, these are new pictures from this week.
I only see them during the winter. 


 This Dark Eyed Junco was spotted nearby...
It's slate coloring is quite light so I think this is a female.
Well defined in this picture are the reddish brown markings on the wings, 
the small pink little beak and dark eye.

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

13 comments:

acorn hollow said...

It is nice it was written by someone so young.
Great duck pictures
cathy

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I hope that swans and ducks will appear soon. Dear Debbie, you took excellent photos as always.
I wish you a happy and successful new week.
I send you hugs and greetings.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie
I love the idea of a Peace tree. The student wrote a beautiful poem.
Love your ducks images. I always had trouble id-ing the Greater and Lesser Scaups. Pretty shot of the Junco. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy new week! Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

Marie Smith said...

The mallards are beautiful specimens. I saw juncos along the boardwalk this morning. Such hardy little birds. Great shots, Debbie.

Hena Tayeb said...

You got some great shots.

Sandi said...

A delightful view. Thanks! :)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Beautiful duck pictures!

Bonnie K said...

Thanks for the photos. I love ducks. It looks nice there.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful photos, especially the mallards.

The Furry Gnome said...

That Peace Tree is such a nice idea, and so needed today!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The female duck is my favorite today but you always get such sharp photos. I need a better camera! lol But then it might weigh more than I want to carry! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Great photographs of the ducks

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Conniecrafter said...

Nice poem about peace. I love that sweet Junco, I have never seen one before.