Saturday, March 2, 2024

Saturday Critters #533

 Last week we went "duck hunting" with the camera, and visited a few lakes we don't generally visit.
Lake of the Lilies is my favorite, it is familiar and we visit often because it is close to home.
It "usually" has a wide variety of winter waterfowl, but not this year.

Some of the lakes we visited that I don't often go to were 
Spring Lake, Lake Como, and Silver Lake 
I was surprised at the lack of ducks everywhere, even the very common mallards were few in numbers, 
and mute swans, we did not see any.

The first three pictures are of the Greater Scaup
We saw them at Lake of the Lilies and I only see them during the winter. 


Female Greater Scaup


We saw Mallards at Silver Lake and Lake Como



I only saw one Great Blue Heron at Spring Lake

  
I was happy to see the Red-Breasted Merganser
they are only in this area during the winter and I rarely see them.





Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

13 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Awesome pictures! I was thinking to myself that the drake Scaup is one of my favorite ducks. Then I thought of the Canvasback, Ring-necked, Pintail, Redhead. They are all my favorite ducks, there is no way I could ever choose just one.

BeachGypsy said...

Love seeing them all!--- yall have such a variety of ducks there!!!

John's Island said...

Great shots ... I especially love the Mallards!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
Great shots of all the ducks. The Red-breasted Mergansers are beautiful and I love the Scaup and the pretty green head on the Mallards. Pretty shot of the GB Heron. Nice outing and post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy new week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Marie Smith said...

Herons aren’t back here yet. Love those birds. I been watching a male mallard this past week. Such beautiful feathers on those birds. It is duck season here too. We may venture out of town this coming week while the temperature is above zero.

Great photos, as always Debbie.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, you got some crystal clear photos of your birds. These images are great!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful photos. The merganser's top feathers gives it a stylish look.

carol l mckenna said...

Good to 'see you' again with your awesome and creative 'duck photos' ~ thanks ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

21 Wits said...

Now that's my kind of hunting! Camera action ready set go! All great captures as they're enjoying their world!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Isn't it odd that sometimes there can be a lot and others not so many. I've never been able to figure it out. I hiked yesterday and saw 2 vultures...not my best sightings! heehee! You take the best photos of the details in the feathers. I love them so much!

Anonymous said...

Still having to comment as anonymous, but at least I can comment!

Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thats the very best kind of duck hunting (and the only kind I believe in!) Wonderful pictures of all the ducks even if you didn't see as many of them as usual. The scaup is striking!

Conniecrafter said...

I know I left a comment here but don't see it :(
I love the ducks that look like they have a mohawk :)