Saturday, June 3, 2023

Saturday Critters #494

 I am not sure I would believe this story if it had not happened to me.
It all started back when I found 2 Mute Swans at a lake we sometimes visit.
One on a nest, the other in the water keeping watch. 
I spoke to each of the swans and made sure they could see me.
I did this because swans, just like elephants, never forget you.
 They are highly intelligent, have sharp vision and impeccable hearing.
I wanted to be sure they got to know me and to test the theory that they would remember me.
I have been visiting the cygnets since they were born, and I even saw them their first day in the water.
I felt like mom and dad remembered me each time I would visit.
On May 26th when I went to visit, they were not in their usual spot, but all the way across the lake.

Imagine my surprise when they immediately swam more than 500 feet across the lake
bringing the cygnets to see me.
I am certain they remembered me as soon as they saw me at the edge of the lake.










They had 8 babies, only 5 are left...I can't imagine how hard that must be for the proud parents.
Still, it was a very special visit!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Smiles and tears here. Such a wonderful story! Love it! Great photos! You are a friend to all, Debbie! No wonder they recognize you!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
What a happy story and a cool experience. The cygnets are so cute and the adults are beautiful. It is sad they have lost a few, I hope the 5 are survivors. Awesome collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Changes in the wind said...

How special is that.....

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How adorable! I like it when they are all clustered together!

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh Debbie how wonderful, that is so special :)
Your photographs are beautiful to see.

All the best Jan

RedPat said...

That is a wonderful story. A special moment indeed.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing this special experience . It made me smile.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow, you're popular!

DrumMajor said...

Totally cool! You're the Swan Whisperer! (Presume you've seen the movie Fly Away Home. Based on a true story about geese who imprint on a little girl and how her dad figures to get them back to their home grounds.) Linda in Kansas

Black Knight said...

What a wonderful story.
I am sure that the animals have a soul.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Great story! How amazing that the swans remembered you and brought their cygnets to see you. Beautiful photos too.

Linda said...

Aww, sweet little ones!

Conniecrafter said...

that is so neat that they came to you, they are too cute, I sure hope they don't loose anymore!