Friday, July 29, 2011

It's Time To Dish The Dirt!!!!!

If you follow my blog, you know that I Don't Love To Cook BUT I Love To Bake. I think I am a baking diva.......really. I post some pretty impressive pictures and boast about my skills. I actually have one whole tab devoted just to baking. I have been known to pat myself on the back and volunteer for every single baking project possible. This dates back to 1989 when Scott started pre-k, I am withholding the remaining details because they are too painful for me to share. I recently posted about a baking marathon here, for Chuck's brother who is leaving for Kuwait. It was fairly impressive.

Well now it's time to dish the dirt, spill the beans, tell the truth. I made this first........

Cappuccino Mousse Trifle
This went very well....all ingredients were included,
added in the right order. Good!!

I quickly move on to cupcakes. I plan on making 4 dozen, 2 dozen yellow cake, 2 dozen chocolate cake. I use a box mix, tweaked ever so slightly, this will go quickly!!!!

I started with yellow cake cupcakes. All ingredients are added, the cupcake batter is perfectly placed in the cute little wrappers, in to the oven they go......wow, I am doing fabulous!!!! The timer is set and I take a much deserved break to check on some blogger friends.

The timer dings, a rotation of the cupcakes is needed. I open the oven door and the oven is consumed with cob webs. Now when I say consumed, I mean it looks like someone took cotton and stretched it in the oven, from one side to the other. Crap....how did that happen and more importantly how did I not see it before now. It's o.k., I have a plan. I will finish baking them and feed them to the birds. Good plan!!! The cupcakes finish, I turn the oven off so I can clean it when it cools off. I take one additional break to check my facebook page, no action there so I move on to bloggerville.

Now is the perfect time to realize I do not have another yellow cake mix. That's o.k. I will just bring 12, no one will notice. The oven is cleaned and it's time to move on!!!!


I over bake the second patch....crap, I hope no one notices!!!
Ooooohhhhh no, Chuck eats one of these, now there's only 11.....that's o.k., no one will notice!!!
Don't they look great!!!!!


These are next........


2 Dozen Chocolate Cupcakes
At this point I am exhausted & complaining.
I started way too late to accomplish all the things I need to do!!!!
Now Chuck is helping!!!!

Next, I make cake balls, they turn out like s___, so I decide to abandon those!!


On to this........


Gooey Butter Cake

At this point I have so many timers set that I am clueless as to why things are dinging!! I turned the oven off, (whoops) instead of the timer, so un-be-knownst to me, the Gooey Butter Cake is cooking in the oven which has been turned off!! So actually, it's not cooking at all!!!!

There is sooooo much more but I think you get the idea. It was a bit of a disaster. I will add one more funny little tid-bit. I went to the party with one leg and one armpit shaved, I am not certain if washed my hair. Don't ask, I'm not telling!!!!!

14 comments:

Jill said...

OH Debbie! I am laughing so hard my tummy hurts! I do stuff like this all the time and thought it was only me. Even though it was rough going, your dishes are beautiful and I bet they tasted terrific!

Lorie said...

LOL! This is too funny. Well, it gives me comfort to know that even a baking diva has a bad day now and then.

Sorry about your difficulties but at least you can laugh about it now. :)

Bonnie said...

We have all had these days! I am so sorry, but I am laughing. I wonder if the critter making the web ended up in one of your goodies? Now how long had it been since you last baked????? Hope you weekend goes smoother. Hugs!

TexWisGirl said...

you are one hot baking mess! ha ha!

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, that mousse looks absolutely sinful!!! You are of course, saving some for me right??? Thought so!! :-)

Like you, I really don't care to cook, but I do SO love to bake. Could it be that it's because I love sweets so much??

I wish you a beautiful weekend my friend!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I can really relate to this post. These kinds of things happen to me all the time. It's good we can laugh at ourselves! I know everything turned out good from seeing your photos. Have a good weekend!

NancyHoho said...

So funny! And here I thought since you loved to bake so much it was just a "piece of cake"!!! This sounds like why I do NOT love to bake. Thoroughly enjoyable entry my dear.

don said...

An amazing (to me) series about baking things…and more things. It's obvious you need to stop Chuck from eating and have him watch the timers and double check to see that you're "on track" with a HOT oven and such! :-)

Farm Girl said...

Oh my gosh, you poor girl. Everything looked so beautiful I would not have known.
Thanks your your bat link, Oh my gosh, I bet I have some living somewhere like that. Do you care if I put your link at the bottom of my page so that people can come and see what they look like? I think mine must be up in the vents in the attic. I was spaying up there and I bet that is where I knocked them out of because they were right below it. At least you got a picture. I just couldn't make myself.

Nancy said...

I think we all have our war stories when it comes to the kitchen. The first thing I baked for my future hubby was a pizza and while taking it out of the oven, dropped it, toppings down, on the wood floor. Good thing he gave me a 2nd chance. :)

Ellie said...

That all looks sooo yummy! LOL. I prefer to bake cakes than cook as well but i've lost that job as Karen has discovered that is her new hobby and something she wants to do as her occupation. And besides she is very good at it. Dont' tell her but I think she is probably better at it than me. sigh.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The way you describe this is quite funny,but in reality I am sure it wasn't.Thanks for sharing this,it makes me feel better,when things don't go as planned,and they often don't.

Jill Wellington said...

You got me at the gooey butter cake. I can feel my hips expanding!

Jane Wagner said...

Debbie, this was truly hilarious.....I can just picture you with all the timers going off....your imperfection makes you perfect....love it!