Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hummingbird Happiness!!!!

I am completely in love with these beautiful little birds. You can click on the photo's and see a little more detail

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world!!!!


Hummingbirds can flash their bright colors, as well as hide them when needed.
The bright radiant color on hummingbirds comes from iridescent coloring like on a soap bubble or prism.


Hummingbirds can hear better and see farther then humans, they have no sense of smell.
A hummingbirds tongue is grooved like the shape of a "W".


A hummingbirds beak is generally shaped like any other bird beak,
just longer in proportion to it's body.


Hummingbirds do not drink through their beaks like a straw.
They lap up nectar with their tongues which have tiny hairs on the end of them.


Male Ruby Throated Hummingbird, in flight!!!!!!


A Gorget is the bright flashing colored feathers of the hummingbirds neck.


Better seen here, in this very blurry shot!!!!


and here also!!!!

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me in your opinion, which picture is best.

I can't really tell. These photo's are straight out of the camera, most have been cropped once......
the blurry pictures of the male were cropped twice.

On an unrelated note, the hubs crushed his finger today, we spent the best part of today in the emergency room.
The finger is not broken, it required 5 stitches.
When we walked in the ER door, the woman greeted us by name & asked us how we were doing  ;)
That's a joke, but really.....we spend way too much time there!!!!!!
He is napping!!!!!

15 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh, I think all the pictures are great! I'm amazed that anyone can get pictures of those quick little creatures.
I don't put out hummingbird feeders, so I only see an occasional one.
Great shots!

Ellie said...

Oh Debbie they are all wonderful, but since you ask for a favourite I think I would pick the close up one of him lapping up the nectar. They are all very great shots.
Hope your hubby is ok and finger not too sore. And stay away from the ER!! :))

TexWisGirl said...

great job, once again. if i had to pick a favorite here, i'd pick #4 with the pert little tilt of her head. then #5 is my next fave. :)

i'm sorry for chuck! good lord!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

A lesson on these wonderful tiny creatures, for which I sincerely thank you. The pictures are all great but my favorite is the 5th one. I think the view at that angle is unnusual and perfect.

By the way, I clicked on them to see them larger! If you do it, then you see great details on that 5th one!!

Ouch! I am sorry for your hubs accident! I do hope it was nothing too serious, and that he heals fast... poor hubby boy!
xxxx

Bev said...

I love the humming bird. We get a few where we live...but they are not around very much...Lovely pictures!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Any and all Hummingbird pictures are great.Sorry to hear about the mishap,I hope he will be better real soon.

NancyHoho said...

Love them all. My vote is for #6. Thanks for all the info on them. Tell Chuck I hope he feels better soon.

Susan said...

Beautiful and special! I really enjoyed reading about the Hummingbirds. It'd be marvellous to see one in the garden!
I like the last photo, showing the colour around the neck and the hint of wing flutter.

Poor Chuck - ahhh, it sounded like a painful injury. Best wishes to get better real quick.
You'll have to bake him something special (am sure you already have!!)

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...

All these pictures are wonderful! Hard to pick a favorite, but if I have to, it would be number 4. Hope your hubs finger gets better.

Jill said...

These are great! Way to go, Debbie! I'd have to say 4 and then 5 but I love em all.

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

I have to agree with Dianna, I can't believe anyone can get so many shots of these speedy little things! Wow, so many facts I never knew! I bet hubby's finger is throbbing tonight, I hope he got some serious pain med for that, Yikes! I'm married to a carpenter I know all about smashed fingers! Have a safe weekend!!!

Nancy said...

Keeping in mind how fast these guys are, you did great.

Does your camera have a setting for picture size? If you should in a large format, then when you crop, it won't look grainy. Just a thought.

Sorry about the hubby. I hope he heals up soon. :)

Anonymous said...

ohhh those lil guys are hard to photograph, but you got some great shots, especially the 4th & 5th shots down. WoW! =)

✿Sie✿ said...

wow ms.Debbie..all the pix are great..nicely done..such an amazing way of appreciating God's gift to us :).. have a blessed Sunday ms.Debbie :)

Adrienne said...

I like the one where he's "looking" off to the right, beak tilted up. and the first one where he's 'hovering' I love hummingbirds too! They always make me think of Oregon and my mother-in-law...she feeds them too, and the love her (like all her little creatures!)
sorry about the emergency room visit!