Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Making Shells Pretty

 The New Jersey ocean produces a lot of shells, especially in Ocean County where I live.
My friend Debi, who does my nails each month joined a group on Facebook where people share pictures of shells they have painted and or decorated.
The shells can be hand painted or decorated with a paper napkin.
So far I have been using napkins but as the winter evolves, and I have more time, 
I would like to paint them.

Debi gave me the instructions on how to use a napkin to decorate them.
She has also been giving me both shells and napkins, I am so grateful to her.

Items Needed:
A Paper Napkin
Sea Shell
Disposable Paint Brush
Mod Podge
Any Scissors

Separate the paper napkin you are going to use from the white backing...

Apply a very thin layer of Mod Podge to the shell...

Lay the napkin on the shell and smooth out as many wrinkles as you can, 
you will not be able to get them all.

Turn the shell over and cut off the excess...

apply another thin layer of Mod Podge over the napkin on the shell.

Oven bake at 150 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.

The hubs sprays these for me with a clear "Rust-oleum Spray, 2x Ultra Cover Gloss Clear" spray,
this step is not totally necessary, but it makes them have a brighter shine. 

Some people hide these shells all over the shore, and even in different states,
 with a message inside to post a picture on the Jersey Shore Shells page on Facebook.
The message reads that you can either keep the shell or re-hide it.


I have this "older" cookie tin that I keep all of my supplies in.


These are a few of the others I have made!
A lot of the shells have deep ridges, like the Thanksgiving one, I try not to use those as much now!

13 comments:

Sandi said...

What a fantastic idea!

eileeninmd said...

What a fun and creative project. Your shells look beautiful, well done.
Take care, have a great day!

Kay said...

OK, now I am totally, completely impressed with all you do. Those shells are now collector's treasures.

Susie said...

Debbie, Those are so cute. I love them. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Alicia said...

They are so beautiful!!! They look hand painted! We don't have many shells here, but my sister loves to paint rocks, I'm going to give her this idea. I've used the modge podge method to cover clear glass plates from The Dollar Tree, they are cute to display or you can give them out with cookies on them. But this is a whole new idea for me! I keep lots of things in tins also, they just so perfect and you get that nostalgic feeling from them. Great post!

Marie Smith said...

These are lovely! Great job!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a good idea, they look so nice.

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

Love it Debbie! Great job! They look amazing!
Have fun crafting! :) Debi

Jean said...

They are beautiful, Debbie. What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing!

BeachGypsy said...

Debbie these are so pretty!!! I want to try this now

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful!
That is a fantastic project for group meeting.

DeniseinVA said...

This is great and your shells are beautiful! Thanks for the lesson!

Conniecrafter said...

That is so cool, I do this same process on my cards but I do not bake them of course :) The spray does give them a glossy look, fun napkins you have there!