Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Five Dollar Chicken...

Hey kids - today we are going to talk food...
we have had this conversation before but here we go again...
because, well...it's worth talking about.

Costco sells rotisserie chickens for five bucks.
Big, meaty, flavorful and juicy - what a deal - you just can't beat the price.
Occasionally, the hubs brings one home and on that night, we have...

Chicken, stuffing and homemade whipped potatoes.
The dark lump on the side of my plate, 
that you are not suppose to ask about, that is chicken skin.
I have decided that I would rather eat pizza, bread (and chicken skin) than be a size zero.
This is my favorite dinner, just like this...
I do not want a vegetable taking up any of the vacant room in my belly.

Moving on...
On night two, with some of the leftover chicken, I made a 
Chicken Pot Pie
I found 2 recipes I liked and "Racheal Ray-ed" them together.
I rarely do that, I am a recipe follower, but I have made this before and
I remembered the changes I wanted to make.
No peas are allowed.

Here's the starting line-up...

One stick of butter
1/2 of a sweet onion, diced
1/3 cup of flour
1 carrot - small dice
1 stalk of celery - small dice
2 potatoes - small dice
1/2 of a cooked rotisserie chicken - diced
1 box of white shoe peg corn (as pictured)
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup - 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
Ready made pie crusts
Mrs. Dash Seasonings, Onion & Herb

Sauté' onion in one stick of butter, add flower to make a rou'.
Once thickened, add chicken stock and cream, stir frequently until well combined.

One carrot & one stalk of celery, small dice.

Add those..

Add potatoes...

I cooked this mixture for about 10 minutes over low heat.

Season...I tasted mine and it was kinda' bland, so I added about a teaspoon of the 
Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb Seasoning.

Add diced cooked chicken...

and one uncooked bag of white corn.

I added more seasonings at this point, then it was ready for the pie crust.

One crust on the bottom, one on the top and it was ready for the oven.

I have no idea how long I cooked this, longer than either recipe said to.
I set the oven at 350 degrees, even though both recipes said 400.
The hubs wasn't home yet, so I wanted it to cook slow.
Problem was, the crust would not brown.
Once I turned the oven to 400 degrees, it browned pretty quickly.
We had this for dinner and also had enough left for lunch the next day.

I had enough filling to fill a personal remke dish for my mom
and even enough of the trimmed pie crust to cover it.
I also brought her a plate of sliced chicken and mashed potatoes.
I also ate one chicken and stuffing sandwich.

Do you get where I am going with this?

How could you ever get more bang for your buck?
These chickens are amazing, and if you go on Pinterest,
they have an entire board devoted to what to do with leftover Rotisserie Chicken.
I often make Chicken Salad or Chicken Noodle Soup.

I read an article that Costco does not make any money on their chickens.
It is a way to get people in the store...while they are there, they often buy other items. 
That's why they are sold in the back of the store.


The hubs proved that to be true, back on January 23rd, 
when I asked him to pick up a chicken at Costco on his way home.
They were predicting a storm later that week.
He came home with, yes it's true, 
4 flashlights, 660 candy kisses and the largest bag of Doritos I have ever seen.
He did remember the chicken.
Ya' gotta' take pictures or no one would believe it!!

28 comments:

Laura. M said...

Good recipe Debbie. Empanada was great and very tasty 😋
Buen martes.
Besos.

Marie Smith said...

Lol. Loss leaders are big money makers for the stores. Your husband got out of there without too much stuff.

The pie looks delicious!

Jill said...

You are so right about how great those Costco chickens are! Your meals look wonderful! I had to giggle at the rest of Chuck's haul!

Sally said...

Oh yes, one of my favorite things. However, I've never made one. It's Marie Calendar here. LOL

You are so ambitious, and the results look amazing, Debbie.

xoxo

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie
See I told you, you were a great cook. So many wonderful recipes to share, the chicken purchase is a great deal. We came home yesterday from the store with a big bag of kisses too, lol. Have a happy day and week ahead.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

mmmmmm

Leanne Coppola said...

They are my favorite chickens too! That's what we had at Rhinebeck and it fed all of us, plus two meals for my family! This chicken pot pie looks delish!!

Stephanie said...

Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm... Your pot pie looks ever so yummy and creamy! I love a good chicken pot pie :)

I, too, love to get the cooked chickens - you can't beat the price! Often I will make chicken enchiladas with them since they add great flavor.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! Hugs!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

It is called a "Loss Leader"!! That idea has been around for a long time, and it still works. The not-expensive chicken at Cosco, I mean.

I remember your left-over Chicken Soup. That Pot Pie sounds deeeeeelicious.

And those chickens have to be bigger than the usual BBQ Chicken. They really are a loss leader!!!!

Gentle hugs,
Luna Crone

Conniecrafter said...

Oh another dish my hubby would like :) I make him one with chicken soup but he likes the bags of carrots and peas :)
LOL, your hubby has got it right on, what else would you need if a storm was approaching :)

Farm Girl said...

I have been making chicken pot pie for over 30 years now and its still a favorite. I like your top dinner though.
Have a great week Debbie, have a great Thanksgiving too. I am sure it will be a blast!

21 Wits said...

Thank you again for speaking to my tummy! My family and I have enjoyed every dish I've prepared from yes, your posts! Not only delicious but easy on the cost as well! I truly enjoy that.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I love chicken. Debbie, your recipe is wonderful.
I have a great desire for her.
Greetings.
Lucja

Liz Hinds said...

Tut, tut, no vegetables!! Or gravy? Isn't it a bit dry? But the smell of those chickens in a shop. Or freshly cooked bread. I've been known to just stand and sniff.

Lowcarb team member said...

Chicken is just brilliant, and so versatile!

All the best Jan

Ruth Hiebert said...

We have those chickens here as well, and they sure are good. Your meals look absolutely wonderful.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am SO hungry for a chicken pot pie! And coincidentally, we bought a chicken at Earth Fare this morning. I read the last part of your post to my hubby and showed him the photo. We got the biggest laugh! Sounds just like...HIM!!!! Thanks for the fun! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Now you've got me craving chicken pot pie.
Do you know, as a child, we had that often, and I have one since?
Time to change that.
Lots of mileage from one chicken!!!
Thank you for sharing.
xo.

Susie said...

Hi Debbie, I love those chickens. You can get lots of meals from one chicken. I have a cookbook that is just for using rotisserie chickens. Now I need to look at some of those recipes. Love how your hubby shopped. :):) Blessings to you. xoxo, Susie

The Furry Gnome said...

At least you had your veggies in your pot pie!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I can almost taste that delicious pot pie! They are building a new Costco close to me soon. The nearest one has been 45 min. away. I am so excited! Thanks for recipe:) Happy Thanksgiving! x K

Karen Lakis said...

You really can't beat two dinners from one $5 chicken! I'm with you - definitely no peas allowed - but I'm not too sure about that chicken skin. I have plenty of food that keeps me from fitting into a size 0 without having to resort to chicken skin...
Your pot pie looks delish!

BeachGypsy said...

I love when you show recipes! Your step by step instructions make it easy to follow along and you sure show some delicious looking stuff!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Love this and will have to try it. I love that Chuck knows exactly what is important to hunker down. xo Hugs B

Linda said...

I’m sending Louis Dean to Costco for a chicken! Who knows what else he will get!!

Brian King said...

If I ever get back up Jersey way I know where I'm stopping! :-) Good stuff! The last time I was in your state I was at Fort Dix for training. Another life.

LeAnn said...

Wow, your adorable personality came out clear in this one. I love the chickens from Costco too. I almost always get one when I go there. It's easy to get a couple of meals out of them. I loved your recipe and picture tutorial on how to make the Chicken pot pie. I will try this one for sure. It looks so delicious.
I am so smiling on this one; you are one cute lady. Sending loving thoughts, blessings and hugs your way!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Who could complain about 660 kisses!