Saturday, May 16, 2020

Saturday Critters ~ 335 ~

Those who know me and follow my blog, know that I raise butterflies.
Last fall I had 52 caterpillars that went into chrysalis and hibernated over the winter.
One by one, 
the butterflies have been emerging,
and it has been a joy to watch them come to life.

The first one emerged on April 27th and I shared that exciting news here.

This is a boy, he emerged on May 2nd...#2

This girl also emerged on May 2nd...#3

This boy came on Monday May 11th...#4

This girl made an appearance on May 13th...#5

The boys and girls look very similar, if you look closely, you can see the differences.
One big difference, the girls have more blue than the boys.
So far, all of the butterflies have stayed around for a few pictures,
then took off like they were born to fly.

This is a super fun, very rewarding, inexpensive hobby that you can read more about here.

Another day in the books, today was a good one.

Sharing today's images with Eileen at Viewing Nature With Eileen

22 comments:

italiafinlandia said...

What an explosion of colors!
Thanks for sharing.

Sandi said...

I love your gorgeous pictures!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Debbie!
Your photos and butterflies are wonderful.
Have a nice weekend:)

Marie Smith said...

Such a great hobby to help those gently creatures. Well done Debbie.

Changes in the wind said...

It is free but not without a lot of work:) They are beautiful.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it looks like a fun hobby. The girls and boys are so pretty, I see the difference. Your photos are just beautiful. The flowers are colorful and pretty too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend! Take care and stay safe! PS, thank you for the visit and comment on my blog!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am so impressed with your efforts! And I know it must be rewarding to see them take flight! Beautiful photos my friend! Happy weekend!

Karen said...

Wow Debbie, they are gorgeous.

Conniecrafter said...

I can only imagine the excitement of watching them get their wings and fly, so wonderful they take out the time to stop on your lovely flowers so you can get a great picture of them! Just love their markings!
Have a wonderful weekend!

RedPat said...

These are such gorgeous creatures!

Black Knight said...

Glad you help such wonderful creatures. I haven't seen yet any butterfly in my garden.

Rian said...

Debbie, the black swallowtails are my favorite butterflies... so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Powell River Books said...

Back when I was a teacher I would gather up caterpillars and put them in an observation cage for the children in my first grade class to watch. Over the school year they could experience the full life cycle. That's one thing I really liked about teaching back in the 70s and 80s. There was a big emphasis on hands-on learning rather than the big push of state and federal testing. - Margy

Adam Jones said...

Wow!! What stunning specimens they are. Nature is wonderful. Great pictures.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the detail in these perfect specimens .

Kim said...

Oh, look at all your beautiful butterflies. It must be so exciting and fulfilling to see your 'babies' emerge into their exquisiteness! Stunning photos!

LeAnn said...

Wow, Debbie you take such magnificent photos of these precious butterflies of yours. I love the whole process you go through. Your nurturing heart shows through. Blessings and hugs for you!

Anu said...

Hello. You have wonderful butterflies. Great photos. Stay safe.

Brian King said...

Those are beautiful! Congratulations on your first ones of the year!

Bonnie K said...

They are absolutely breathtaking.

Liz Needle said...

What a fascinating hobby. Your butterflies are magnificent. As a child I bred silkworms, but they were very drab compared to theses.

Lowcarb team member said...

Absolutely gorgeous to see, great photographs.

All the best Jan