Monday, March 16, 2020

Who Is Your Quarantine Buddy?

Mine is the hubs, of course...we "like" each other so we should be good!
There have been one or two tense moments, but I keep reminding him of what's to come...
that this is just the beginning!
We have been staying home, mostly, we have taken a few rides in the car.
We go to our regular points of interest, The Beach, The Inlet, 


Spring Lake


Funny story...
We took the bikes to Spring Lake to ride...they have a nice bike path around the lake. 
I only got about 1/2 way around and I knew I couldn't go any further.
I tried to get off my bike, fell and started sliding down the incline, toward the lake, on my belly!
Like I was sled riding, without snow, or a sled.
I stopped about one foot short of the water, rolled over and said
"Did anyone see me"??
Then I realized I was laying in goose poop, yuck!
I didn't get hurt, maybe just my pride, I could not get home fast enough for a shower!

There was a large group of Northern Shovelers, I photographed before the fall.

This is the male,

this is the female.
This duck gets its name from its long, flattened bill, they are only here for the winter. 

This one looked odd,

this one too, perhaps from crossbreeding or something else.
Both were hanging out with the Shovelers, 
but maybe there was some funny business with the mallards, or maybe they just developed this way.

I need to get back on my bike, when it gets a little warmer, it cooled off here!

18 comments:

Andy said...

I am glad you survived your funny story. To tell the truth, it made me laugh.
Stay save Debbie. Covid-19 is not going away anytime soon.

Kim said...

Oh, visiting your lovely place always makes me smile, Debbie. Oh, the adventures you have! So glad that you are happy with your quarantine buddy.

Marie Smith said...

I just love this shovelers. Do those beaks get in their way? I guess not. Take care, Debbie.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, hubby is my quarantine buddy. I am glad you were ok after the fall. They do all look like shovelers to me, be some mixed breed. But the large bills all look the same. Stay safe and healthy, calm and happy. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

Ella said...

If you fall in poop it is said that you will be lucky! :)
Buy a lottery ticket! LOL

IanH said...

My quarantine buddies will be my wife and dog. We have given up on crowds due to age and high risk, but I continue to do my 5 mile a day walk with the dog. At -27C yesterday hopefully the virus will die off outside.

Conniecrafter said...

Just me and hubby here too. He still has to go in to work so we get a little break from each other there.
Sorry to hear about your fall, when we went on our trip and I fell that was my first question to Greg too, did anyone see me?
Isn't that amazing on their patterns and such, that is so interesting.
You be careful on your bike rides :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

I did smile at your story, but only because you managed to stay out of the water. That Shoveler could just be in spring molt.

The Padre said...

'I need to get back on my bike' I Encourage That Behavior - Also, Those Birds Are Such Beautiful Markings - Thank You For Sharing

Cheers

Rian said...

Really like that second pic with the benches by the water. What a nice place to sit and watch the ducks. I guess DH and my our grandson are my quarantine buddies. We are retired, but grandson (21) still goes off to work (for now anyway)... so he can pick up stuff if and when we need it (that is... if there's anything on the shelves). Sorry to hear about your fall, glad you weren't hurt.

Judy said...

I could just picture you sliding along like that!!
Sorry about the Goose poop, but it could have been worse.
Falling in the lake and having to get home in icy cold clothes!

The Furry Gnome said...

We're just staying home too. I do hope we get out for some drives.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

perhaps you should be giving up bike riding!! Glad it was only your pride that got hurt! Lovely photographs of the dusks. Stay safe.

italiafinlandia said...

Pretty and funny ducks.
Stay safe you both!

Brian King said...

I'm happy to hear you weren't physically hurt! Gorgeous Shovelers! Love those bills!

Changes in the wind said...

Oh that second picture should be framed!!I think I would have stated your story as a scary story instead of a funny one but glad you could laugh about it.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good grief girl, be careful out there!). Now, Say “yes, mom” and roll your eyes... well, that’s what my daughter would do anyway. Isn’t it funny how if we fall, trip, or stumble the first thing we think is “did anybody see me?” . Thanks for sharing the birds and then beauty (and I’m glad your camera wasn’t damaged in the fall ;). We’re pretty good at burrowing in here at the cottage...lots to amuse ourselves with nowadays.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank goodness you didn't hurt yourself.
Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan