Friday, July 12, 2019

The Black Bellied Whistling Duck

The last few days have been so exciting here at The Jersey Shore...
- Photo Exciting -
I have had so many awesome picture opportunities, I don't even know where to start!
I guess I'll "start at the very beginning, a very good place to start"...
Do you remember that line from Mary Poppins?

I heard there was a Black Bellied Whistling Duck at Lake of the Lilies,
impossible right? they don't come this far north and are not found on the east coast.
I was so excited to visit and see if I could find and observe it.
First try on Wednesday morning, nothing - second try, Wednesday evening,
bingo and I just about wet my pants.
Rounding one of the bends of the lake, there it was.
It is alone, males and females are similar in size and color, so I'm not sure which it is.

Is it not a beauty?
I don't know how it ended up here on the Jersey Shore,
how it got separated from it's flock.
Whistling Ducks pair for life so there is a duck out there somewhere, missing it's partner.








They are noisy in groups but I was super happy to hear this ones whistle/call!
This map shows some of the spots where the have been popping up,
it appears New Jersey is in the 0 - 2% area.

I thought of my friend Theresa, TexWisGirl at the run-a-round ranch,
her yard was full of these ducks, I miss you "T"!

17 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is a very handsome duck, Debbie. It is always possible that a lone individual like this, outside its normal range, is an escape from a waterfowl collection or private zoo. It is in any event a fine bird to see.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I just love this cute duck. We had some show up in Maryland and Virginia recently too. Your photos are awesome. I remember Theresa sharing her cute Whistling Duck photos. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Natalia said...

What a cute bird, have a lovely weekend:)

TexWisGirl said...

Oh, you got some great photos! I am so happy they are making their way north! So glad you got to see one. They are the coolest ducks, ever! :)

Susan Zarzycki said...

Awesome! What an addition to a life list if you keep one.

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos! How fortunate you had one show up for whatever reason! They are the most "un-duck like" acting ducks I've ever seen. LOL!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

They know they OWN the water, huh

Debbie said...

awwwww, t, so nice to see you here! i feel like it may be lost, being alone....but i don't really know. i was just so happy to see it because it brought back memories of you, you blog and the ranch!!! love you!!!

Changes in the wind said...

And to me it is just a duck:) So happy you were able to photograph this duck since it is unusual and you got some great shots.

Sally said...

These are stunning photo's, Debbie. Each one, gorgeous!

I miss Theresa also. :(

Love to you!

Marie Smith said...

What a discovery! And a beauty too. You took great photos!

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! As soon as I saw the title, my mind went to TexWisGirl,Teresa, as well. I used to love her posts about the ducks, well, I loved all the posts. You got some amazing shots of this beauty and rarity in your area.

Linda said...

What a gift to spot sure a rare duck! I’m glad it was you! The photos are beautiful and because you saw the duck - w get to see him, too!

Lowcarb team member said...

It is a very handsome duck, you've caught him so well in your photographs.

Lovely to read TexWisGirl, Teresa's comment above :)

Enjoy the rest of Friday and have a great weekend.

All the best Jan

italiafinlandia said...

A new duck for me...nice to get to know it.
...and...yes! It is a beauty! The shades of colour on its feathers are lovely!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh I had to laugh at the wet my pants line, I have been there too, on our trip up to Minnesota I thought I saw a moose, lol, no it wasn't but I sure got pretty excited thinking I had :)
Oh it is a beauty and you have got some wonderful pics of it, I sure hope it can find it's mate or get back with it's group.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I loved this post and the later one ...what an amazing day...I am looking forward to getting out on some nature walks again! I too think of TexWis Girl and the RunAround every time I see that duck (picture or ...rarely ,,. Real life).