Saturday, December 30, 2023

Saturday Critters #524

It's been a while since I have been on any sort of walk in nature...
or for a drive around Lake of the lilies.
I was excited to see these...

 - big birds among the reeds & weeds -


It is thought that Great Egrets migrate south for winter...
they are known to migrate as far south as the West Indies or southern Central America.
They migrate during the day in small flocks.
I have never seen them here during the winter, yesterday I saw 2 at the lake.
I wonder if they are getting a late start or if the will be spending the winter here, 
I will keep watch over them.









Great Blue Herons are present here year round and are very familiar.





Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

14 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The sunshine really helped make the Great White...white! Lovely photos and a neat place to visit! Happy New year my friend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
It is nice to see the Egrets still hanging out at your lake. Beautiful captures of both the Egret and the Heron. Sometimes they will stay as long as their food can still be found, moving water helps. Thank you for your link and your comment! I wish you and yours all the best in 2024, a happy and healthy New Year! Have a safe and happy weekend.

Debbie said...

thanks eileen...and it has been warm here, perhaps that is why they have stayed!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice photographs there!
Happy New Year!

The Happy Whisk said...

Stunning shots you got. I love the blue back and the white bird. Stunning.

Lowcarb team member said...

Always a joy to see your photographs.

Hope you are enjoying this last weekend of 2023, my good wishes coming across the miles for a Happy New Year.

All the best Jan

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Both of those are incredible hunters. It is interesting to watch the walk the shallows and pick off frogs and fish.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Gorgeous photos of these amazing birds! It must've been a thrill to see them in person! I love their pale, fierce-looking eyes! I would not want to get close to that bill, either. Happy New Year, dear friend! xx K

acorn hollow said...

Beautiful birds and lovely pictures.
Happy New Year
Cathy

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Dear Debbie!

May the coming New Year 2024 bring you joy, success, and happiness!

21 Wits said...

and so it was said all that you saw out and about in nature were all having a marvelous day! Take care!

Linda said...

Wondrous egret pictures! Best wishes for the new year.

Conniecrafter said...

That is a treat you were able to see them, I wonder if it is the warmer temps of this year, or all the rain you all have been getting that has caused them to stop there.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie :=)
I hope you had a lovely Christmas and celebrated the New year in style. I enjoyed seeing your photos of the Great Egret and Blue Heron,
they both are birds I would love to see in real time.You did as you always do photograph them very well.
All the best
Sonjia.