Saturday, June 5, 2021

Saturday Critters ~ 390 ~

 Pictured are a few of the more common birds that visit the bird feeders in my backyard.


Robin Red Breast
The most familiar thrush that feeds mainly on earthworms.
The male has red brick to orange underparts, the female is paler in color.
The male also has striking white eyelids and a whiter throat with black streaks.
Here in my yard they are present year round, 
my bird book says they are only here in spring and summer.
Both of these images are of males.



Black Capped Chickadee
A regular visitor to my bird feeders and typically indifferent to people,
especially to those who provide food.
Sexes are similar, even the juvenile is similar to the adult.
Song is a whistled, "fee-bee"...and also a song that sounds like it's name "chika-dee-dee-dee".



Tufted Titmouse
This small gray bird is also a regular visitor to the feeders.
Males and females are identical in plumage.
The Titmouse is related to the Chickadee and can often be seen hoarding food,
caring sunflower seeds away from bird feeders, one seed at a time.



Downey Woodpecker
The smallest woodpecker in North America,
they prefer to dine on suet but are also happy with black sunflower seeds.
Males and females are similar, males have a red spot on the back of their head.
Here, I see a lot more males than females.
Woodpeckers do not sing songs, but rather drum loudly against pieces of wood or metal.


Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

20 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Delightful photos of these sweet visitors Debbie. I am always impressed how clear and sharp they are.

Marie Smith said...

I don’t see the titmouse but the others are familiar for sure. Love these birds. The downy is so tiny! Along the boardwalk here they eat the seeds left by walkers. Great photos.

Susan Zarzycki said...

Gorgeous pictures and info on everyday backyard feeders, Deb! ❤️

Changes in the wind said...

They may be common but they are pretty. Especially the red robin:)

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
We do have many of the same yard birds. I do not often see the Robins and our Chickadee is the Carolina and not the Black-capped. I always enjoy the sweet Titmouse and the Downy Woodpeckers. Right after I tell hubby I am not seeing any Hummers, they show up. I think they are busy with the nesting and natural nectars. Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a great day and a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Fabulous pictures of some very pretty birds.

Betty said...

I love the beautiful birds. We have a lot and I mean a lot of robins here in our yard.

Conniecrafter said...

Such fabulous pictures, love them all. The robins hop all over our yard once hubby mows, so cute to watch them. I haven't seen my woodpeckers in awhile :( The humingbirds are fun to watch too, Opie sits in the window and gets all excited about them :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think some of ours have flown North to visit you. Not many of these in our feeders right now....well, the only one of these is the Titmouse. Enjoy your weekend sweet friend!

The Furry Gnome said...

We have all of those except the Titmouse, which is very rare this far north in Ontario.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You have such a lovely set of bird photos. I have said it before, but if I had to choose only one bird, it would be the Chickadee.

Linda said...

Excellent bird pictures! We see robins year-round too.

Brian King said...

Awesome photos! It seems they all knew to wait for their picture to be taken.

Adam Jones said...

That Tufted Titmouse is a great looking fellow.

Ruth S said...

All my life I thought robins flew south in the winter but my neighbor says they only go to the piney woods. I have seen robins on the parkway near Atlantic City in the winter.

Debbie said...

for a large part of my life, i also thought that ruth. i also thought seeing them at the end of winter was a sign that spring was coming. i have seen them during winter, but not as many this year. maybe some migrate and some just hang around!!

Yvonne said...

Your feeders attract beautiful birds. Nice photos.

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful photographs Debbie, thank you.

All the best Jan

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Lovely photos. Your robins are totally different from our. Ours are small and brown with a red breast. Nothing a stunning as this one.

LeAnn said...

Fantastic photos of these different birds. They are all beautiful. I don't know how to pick a favorite. You are blessed to have these different birds come to your feeder.
Blessing and hugs!