Thursday, April 4, 2019

Lake Of The Lilies

Most of the winter ducks are gone at Lake of the Lilies.
One duck that was still hanging around yesterday when I visited was the

Male Greater Scaup
A really beautiful duck where the head appears black in poor light but is actually green.

Belly and flanks are white, back is pale gray and the eyes are bright yellow.

They are noted to be diving ducks but they all stayed above water yesterday,
making them easier to photograph.

According to my bird book, they are here only in the winter,
so this may be the last time I see them this spring.



They were hanging around with what looks to be the 
Female Greater Scaup - but could be the Female Lesser Scaup,
they look very similar in my bird book.


They seemed to be coupled up as they swam around the lake,
some getting very close to the shoreline making them easier to photograph!

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Debbie. your duck photos are awesome. Well done! I never see them this close, they always swim away. Wishing you a happy day!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

duck are soooo cool

Marie Smith said...

I saw scaups recently too but my photos are not nearly a good. Aren’t the blue beaks gorgeous?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is one case when I think the female is as pretty as the male! Beautiful photos my friend. Enjoy your day!

Changes in the wind said...

Wonderful pictures, love the one of him spreading his wings and the one scratching his back.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely ducks :)

Hope you are having a lovely day.

All the best Jan

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful! When they leave your area they may be on their way to my part of the world.

DeniseinVA said...

Stunning photos of these beautiful ducks. So sharp and clear. Looks like a gorgeous day too.

Sally said...

Beautiful photo's as always, Debbie.

I'm trying to check around on y'all "peoples" while I'm
home a few days.

xoxo

Conniecrafter said...

that is great that you were able to get some pictures of them before they leave for the season, and that they cooperated and stayed above what to get these great pictures! We had some walking down our street today, it always surprises me to see them down here.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Fabulous shots of these ducks Debbie

Lady Fi said...

Such beautiful shots.

italiafinlandia said...

Lovely! ...and what beautiful shots!

Brian King said...

I like the coloring of their bills...it appears light blue. Beautiful ducks!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Really beautiful ... they don’t look in any hurry to leave your neighborhood! And I can’t blame them ...such a beautiful lake.

Farm Girl said...

I love those colors! Beautiful shots.