Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chasing Herons!!

What an exciting day, September 4th was, chasing Immature Little Blue Herons at the Manasquan Reservoir. We were told by the nature enthusiast that works at the reservoir exactly where they hang out. We went searching and there they were, right were she said they would be. We were not able to get too close, but I am so excited to share what I have.......


An Immature Little Blue Heron


All white with greenish-yellow legs.


The bill is two-toned, blue-gray at the base with a darker tip.


The white plumage is kept for one year,
at which point the bird becomes mottled as it changes to the blue-gray adult plumage. 


The woman told us there were two,
but we saw a total of three all together, they were all the same size.
Chuck took the first three pictures, the terrain was rough and steep.
I took the fourth and fifth pictures, one hour later in a different spot.

I won't mention that we were "parked" on the shoulder,
kind of obstructing one lane of traffic,
with the bikes hanging off....and people were beeping!! what's that all about?!?!
Some people have no sense of adventure!!!

I'm so glad we went back, we were able to get a little closer!!

I am linking with World Bird Wednesday at The Pine River Review.

Please stop by to view all the amazing entries!!!

  

23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i think it is so neat that they are white to begin with and turn darker as they age. and shame on you for being a traffic hazard!!! be safe!!!

Ellie said...

Great pictures - you know I am learning so much reading your blog lol. Thanks for the education. Had to laugh at TexWisGirl's comment about traffic hazard.

Nancy said...

Bah! Let 'em go around, I say. ;)

What a neat find -- three in one spot as well. I would have been so excited, I doubt I would have been able to keep the camera still.

Jill said...

I can't believe you got 3 in one shot. Remarkable!

You need a bumper sticker that says "I brake for photograpy opps!" hehe!

Rose said...

I would have been chasing them, too, only I would have thought they were some kind of egret!

Leenie said...

Nice photos! Well worth the trouble. Thanks.

tractorgal said...

I have sand hill cranes that have there babys every year in our yard.The family keeps on growing.That is the first time I've seen those so young.

Bruce Clark said...

You several nice shots there, Debbie. How close were you to them?

fjällripan said...

Great post, so beautiful photos! I had to smile when I read the last part :) The Heron was a really great found, so interesting about the white plumage they have the first year.

Springman said...

Teriffic photos and a great adventure. Hang a CSI(Crime Scene Investigator) sign in your car window next time!
Its fun when a good lead turns out,
Excellent post!

Debbie said...

i am getting some great "sign" ideas for the back of the car!! i have to admit that i really enjoy the adventure!! have i told you lately that i LOVE my nikon, it has changed my life!!

Bonnie said...

I've been waiting for the "chasing heron" post. It was worth the wait. Hugs!

Lisa Gordon said...

I have never seen a young heron Debbie, and they are just adorable! How lucky you were to be able to photograph them. Wonderful images!!

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful shots, Debbie!

I'm with Nancy - let'em go around!

:)

Jane Wagner said...

Hi Debbie! Where did your facebook page go? Please let me know how you are....jaynee777@aol.com ....ok?
Jane xo

Adrienne said...

Sweet ~ seeing the young birds is very special! Thanks for taking all the flack so you could share them with us!

Karen said...

Oh cool Debbie! I photographed my first blue heron up at the cottage so I know the feel of excitment! My pics didn't turn out as good as yours though.

Jill Wellington said...

I just love the adventure of pulling over to the side of the road to capture a nature photo!! That made me smile, Debbie. Fun photos of the herons. I wish we had those around me!

Farm Girl said...

Very nice and I didn't know that about them. I like how white they are now.

Tammy said...

I never knew this. Wow, how interesting. Makes me wonder how many times I thought I saw ergets, but they were actually young herons. Thanks Debbie.

Pat said...

Wonderful captures!

Susan said...

Superb photos - those herons are so beautiful! Didn't realise about their colouring either.
Ha ha, you traffic obstructions you ;D)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow so worth the scary hanging on the side of the road shots.
It never ceases to amaze me the things people will do for a great shot, me included. Love them. B